Monday 24 May 1976
It was Monday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Gerald Ford (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Alessandro Cortini and Catherine Cox.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Love Hangover by Diana Ross.
In UK Fernando by Abba was in the top 5 hits.
The Man Who Fell to Earth, directed by Nicolas Roeg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1976
while Scoundrel Time by Lillian Hellman was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Kapetan Mikula Mali.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Colossal Cave Adventure or Night Driver.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1976!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1976 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Alessandro Cortini: Italian-American singer and keyboard player (Modwheelmood SONOIO Blindoldfreak and Nine Inch Nails).
- Catherine Cox: New Zealand-Australian netball player.
- Bob Maesen: Belgian flatwater canoer.
- 1st commercial SST flight to North America (Concorde to Washington DC)
- Muhammad Ali TKOs Richard Dunn in 5 for heavyweight boxing title
- First commercial SuperSonicTransport flight to North America (Concorde to Washington DC).
- The Judgement of Paris takes place in France, launching California as a worldwide force in the production of quality wine.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1976 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Diana Ross - Love Hangover
- Wings - Silly Love Songs
- Elvin Bishop - Fooled Around And Fell In Love
- Silver Convention - Get Up And Boogie (That's Right)
- Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue
- Pratt and McClain - Happy Days
- John Sebastian - Welcome Back
- Henry Gross - Shannon
- Daryl Hall & John Oates - Sara Smile
- Barry Manilow - Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?