1976 was a landmark year for the computer/tech field. Cray-1, the world’s first commercial supercomputer, was released this year. It was also this year that Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak founded Apple Computer Company.
In space exploration news, NASA’s Viking 2 landed on Mars. Shortly after landing, Viking 2 got to work, sending the first-ever close-up, color photos of the Mars surface.
This year in the Disco Decade, music was not all about the disco genre.
The Ramones released their first album this year, Ramones. Stevie Wonder also released his legendary album, Songs in the Key of Life. In more rock news, 1976 was the year that U2 was formed and the Eaglesreleased their famous album, Hotel California.
In television and film, this was the year that The Muppet Show broadcast for the first time on the ITV network. 1976 was the year that Sylvester Stallone starred as Rocky Balboa, “The Italian Stallion,” in the great sports drama, Rocky. The film would go on to win Best Picture at the 49th Academy Awards and would launch a film franchise, not to mention Stallone’s career. Another great film, Taxi Driver, starring Robert De Niro, was also released this year. At the 48th Academy Awards in 1976, it was One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, starring Jack Nicholson, which took home the award for Best Picture. Filming of the first Star Wars film began this year as well.
1976 was a notable year for literature and theatre as well. In the field of literature, novelist Anne Rice published her first novel, which would become one of her best-known works – Interview With a Vampire. In theatre, Ian McKellen and Judi Dench put on a very memorable performance of “The Scottish Play,” Macbeth, with the Royal Shakespeare Company.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 49th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1976?
Which were the most popular books released in 1976 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1976
- Betty Williams
- Mairead Maguire
- Saul Bellow
- Burton Richter
- Samuel C. C. Ting
- Milton Friedman
- William Lipscomb
Physiology or Medicine
- Baruch Samuel Blumberg
- Daniel Carleton Gajdusek
Which were the top hits of 1976?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- K.C and the Sunshine Band - (Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty
- Wings - Silly Love Songs
- Walter Murphy - A Fifth Of Beethoven
- Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music
- Rick Dees - Disco Duck (Part 1)
- England Dan and John Ford Coley - I'd Really Love To See You Tonight
- The Manhattans - Kiss And Say Goodbye
- Rod Stewart - Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright)
- Silver Convention - Get Up And Boogie (That's Right)
- Chicago - If You Leave Me Now
Top #1 songs in the UK
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1976
- Total population: 4.2 billion (4,154,666,864 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.6 billion, that is 38.0% of the total population of 1976 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +75.1 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.84%
- Average density: 28.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1976?
- 01 Jan 1976 Musical Jubilee closes at St. James Theater NYC after 92 performances
- 03 Jan 1976 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 04 Jan 1976 Candide closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 740 performances
- 05 Jan 1976 MacNeil-Lehrer Report premieres on PBS
- 06 Jan 1976 Ted Turner purchases Atlanta Braves for reported $12 million.
- 08 Jan 1976 Franklin Mint strikes first gold coins for Netherlands Antilles.
- 09 Jan 1976 Ringo releases Oh My My in the UK
- 11 Jan 1976 Pacific Overtures opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 193 performances
- 12 Jan 1976 The UN Security Council votes 11-1 to allow the Palestine Liberation Organization to participate in a Security Council debate (without voting rights).
- 14 Jan 1976 Bionic Woman with Lindsay Wagner debuts on ABC (later NBC)
- 15 Jan 1976 Sara Jane Moore sentenced to life for attempting to shoot US President Gerald Ford.
- 16 Jan 1976 Donny & Marie Osmond musical variety show premieres on ABC TV
- 17 Jan 1976 Hermes rocket launched by European Space Agency.
- 18 Jan 1976 Super Bowl X: Pittsburgh Steelers beat Dallas Cowboys, 21-17 in Miami, Florida; Most Valuable Player: Lynn Swann, Wide Receiver.
- 19 Jan 1976 Jimmy Carter wins the Iowa Democratic Caucus.
- 20 Jan 1976 29th NHL All-Star Game: Wales beat Campbell 7-5 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 21 Jan 1976 Supersonic Concorde, first commercial flights, by Britain and France.
- 22 Jan 1976 Bank robbery in Beirut, Lebanon, nets $20-50 million (record).
- 23 Jan 1976 Paul Robeson, American actor, singer, and social activist (Born 1898)
- 24 Jan 1976 Cleveland Cavaliers' biggest margin victory-43 points (beat Milwaukee Bucks 132-89).
- 25 Jan 1976 Surinder Amarnath scores 124 on Test debut India versus New Zealand Auckland.
- 26 Jan 1976 6th AFC-NFC pro bowl, NFC wins 23-20
- 27 Jan 1976 Laverne & Shirley spinoff from Happy Days premieres on ABC TV
- 28 Jan 1976 NBA Atlanta Hawks begin a 28 game road losing streak
- 29 Jan 1976 Zeiss planetarium in Hague, Netherlands, destroyed by fire.
- 30 Jan 1976 George Bush becomes 11th director of US Central Intelligence Agency (until 1977).
- 31 Jan 1976 Lance Gibbs becomes highest Test wicket-taker at 308.
- 01 Feb 1976 Rich Man, Poor Man mini-series premieres on ABC TV
- 02 Feb 1976 Honeymooners Second Honeymoon airs on TV
- 03 Feb 1976 26th NBA All-Star Game: East beats West 123-109 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 04 Feb 1976 12th Winter Olympic games opens in Innsbruck, Austria
- 05 Feb 1976 Australia complete 5-1 series drubbing of West Indies.
- 07 Feb 1976 FCC raids and shuts down pirate radio station WCPR (Brooklyn NY)
- 08 Feb 1976 Jan Stephens wins LPGA Sarah Coventry Naples Golf Classic.
- 11 Feb 1976 Clifford Alexander Jr confirmed as 1st black secretary of Army
- 12 Feb 1976 Sal Mineo, actor (Exodus, Rebel Without a Cause), stabbed at age 37.
- 13 Feb 1976 Peter Casserly of New Zealand hand-sheers record 353 lambs in 9 holes.
- 14 Feb 1976 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 15 Feb 1976 12th Winter Olympic games close at Innsbruck, Austria
- 17 Feb 1976 Rockabye Hamlet opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 7 performances
- 19 Feb 1976 Frente Polisario forms Democratic Republic of Sahara.
- 20 Feb 1976 Muhammad Ali knocks out Jan Pierre Coopman in five rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
- 21 Feb 1976 Rockabye Hamlet closes at Minskoff Theater NYC after 7 performances
- 22 Feb 1976 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Bent Tree Golf Classic.
- 24 Feb 1976 Cuba adopts its constitution.
- 26 Feb 1976 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 27 Feb 1976 Final meeting between China's Mao tse Tung and US President Richard Nixon.
- 28 Feb 1976 Spain withdraws from Western Sahara
- 02 Mar 1976 Bubbling Brown Sugar opens at ANTA Theater NYC for 766 performances
- 03 Mar 1976 Mozambique closes border with Rhodesia.
- 04 Mar 1976 John Pezzin bowls 33 consecutive strikes in Toledo, Ohio.
- 06 Mar 1976 Ice Dance Championship at Gothenburg won by Pakhomova and Gorshkov (URS)
- 07 Mar 1976 Morocco and Mauretania break diplomatic relations with Algeria.
- 09 Mar 1976 First female cadets accepted to West Point Military Academy.
- 11 Mar 1976 Near Newport, Rhode Island, a magnitude 3.5 earthquake occurs.
- 12 Mar 1976 South African troops leave Angola.
- 13 Mar 1976 Mozambique recognizes the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR).
- 14 Mar 1976 Jockey Bill Shoemaker wins his 7,000th race.
- 15 Mar 1976 Failed coup in Nigeria.
- 16 Mar 1976 British Prime Minister Harold Wilson resigned, citing personal reasons.
- 17 Mar 1976 Rubin Hurricane Carter is retried
- 19 Mar 1976 Princess Margaret separates from the Earl of Snowdon, after 16 years.
- 20 Mar 1976 Patricia Hearst convicted of armed robbery
- 23 Mar 1976 International Bill of Rights goes into effect (35 nations ratifying)
- 24 Mar 1976 In Argentina, the armed forces overthrow the constitutional government of President Isabel Peron and start a 7-year dictatorial period self-styled the National Reorganization Process. Since 2006, a public holiday known as Day of Remembrance for Truth and Justice is held on this day.
- 25 Mar 1976 My Fair Lady opens at St. James Theater NYC for 384 performances
- 26 Mar 1976 Wings release Wings at the Speed of Sound album
- 27 Mar 1976 Washington DC underground Metro opens
- 29 Mar 1976 Eight Ohio National Guardsmen indicted for shooting four Kent State students.
- 30 Mar 1976 Israel kills six Palestinians protesting land confiscation.
- 31 Mar 1976 Cleveland Cavaliers clinch their first ever NBA playoff berth.
- 01 Apr 1976 Stephen Wozniak and Steven Jobs founded Apple Computer
- 02 Apr 1976 Portuguese constitution assumed.
- 03 Apr 1976 Philadelphia Flyers win record-tying 20th straight NHL home game.
- 04 Apr 1976 5th Colgate Dinah Shore Golf Championship won by Judy Rankin.
- 05 Apr 1976 Harold Wilson resigns, as James Callaghan becomes Prime Minister of England.
- 07 Apr 1976 Chinese Politburo fires vice-premier Deng Xiaoping.
- 09 Apr 1976 US and Russia agree on the size of nuclear tests for peaceful use.
- 10 Apr 1976 Cleveland Cavaliers win their first NBA Central Division title.
- 11 Apr 1976 40th Golf Masters Championship: Ray Floyd wins, shooting a 271.
- 12 Apr 1976 India set 403 to win by West Indies; they get them, six wickets 7 overs spare.
- 13 Apr 1976 $2 bill re-introduced as US currency
- 15 Apr 1976 Yankee Stadium reopens, New York Yankees beat Minnesota Twins after trailing 4-0.
- 16 Apr 1976 As a measure to curb population growth, the minimum age for marriage in India is raised to 21 years for men and 18 years for women.
- 17 Apr 1976 NL greatest comeback, trailing 12-1 Phils win 18-16 in 10, Mike Schmidt hits 4 consecutive HRs
- 18 Apr 1976 Judy Rankin wins LPGA Karsten - Ping Golf Open.
- 19 Apr 1976 80th Boston Marathon won by Jack Fultz of Washington DC in 2:20:19.
- 20 Apr 1976 George Harrison sings lumberjack song with Monty Python
- 21 Apr 1976 Swine Flu vaccine, for non-epidemic, enters testing.
- 22 Apr 1976 Barbara Walters becomes 1st female nightly network news anchor
- 23 Apr 1976 The punk rock group The Ramones release their first self-titled album.
- 25 Apr 1976 Elections in Vietnam for a National Assembly to reunite the country.
- 26 Apr 1976 Pan Am begins non-stop flights, New York - Tokyo.
- 27 Apr 1976 So Long 174th St opens at Harkness Theater NYC for 16 performances
- 29 Apr 1976 Minister Irene Vorrink begins fluoridating Dutch drinking water.
- 30 Apr 1976 Wings release Silly Love Songs
- 01 May 1976 Jos Hermens on the Netherlands sets record for 20,000 metre, 57:24.2.
- 02 May 1976 Joanne Carner wins LPGA Lady Tara Golf Classic.
- 04 May 1976 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue opens at Mark Hellinger NYC for 7 performances
- 05 May 1976 Anderlecht wins 16th soccer Europe Cup II.
- 06 May 1976 An earthquake strikes Friuli, causing 989 deaths and the destruction of entire villages.
- 08 May 1976 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue closes at Mark Hellinger NYC after 7 performances
- 09 May 1976 So Long 174th St closes at Harkness Theater NYC after 16 performances
- 11 May 1976 Emmy 3rd Daytime Award presentation
- 12 May 1976 Bayern Munich wins 21st Europe Cup 1.
- 14 May 1976 Lowell Thomas ends 46 years as radio network reporter
- 15 May 1976 Emmy Creative Arts Award presentation
- 16 May 1976 Sue Roberts wins LPGA American Defender Golf Classic.
- 17 May 1976 28th Emmy Awards: Mary Tyler Moore Show, Jack Albertson and M Learned
- 19 May 1976 Liverpool wins 5th UEFA Cup at Bridge.
- 22 May 1976 St. Louis Cardinal Reggie Smith hits 3 HR
- 24 May 1976 Muhammad Ali TKOs Richard Dunn in 5 for heavyweight boxing title
- 25 May 1976 Heavyweight boxer Muhammad Ali knocks out Richard Dunn in five rounds for heavyweight boxing title in Munich, Germany.
- 29 May 1976 One Piece At A Time by Johnny Cash hits #29
- 30 May 1976 22nd LPGA Championship won by Betty Burfeindt.
- 31 May 1976 Syria intervenes in the Lebanese Civil War in opposition to the Palestine Liberation Organization, whom it had previously supported.
- 01 Jun 1976 Great-Britain and Iceland terminate codfish war
- 02 Jun 1976 A car bomb fatally injures Arizona Republic reporter Don Bolles.
- 03 Jun 1976 US presented with oldest known copy of Magna Carta.
- 04 Jun 1976 The Boston Celtics defeat the Phoenix Suns 128-126 in triple overtime in Game 5 of the NBA Finals at the Boston Garden. In 1997, the game is selected by a panel of experts as the greatest of the NBA's first 50 years.
- 05 Jun 1976 Bigfoot by Bro Smith hits #57
- 06 Jun 1976 30th NBA Championship: Boston Celtics beat Phoenix Suns, 4 games to 2
- 07 Jun 1976 NBC Nightly News with John Chancellor and David Brinkley, premieres
- 08 Jun 1976 Houston Astros draft Floyd Bannister #1
- 10 Jun 1976 49th National Spelling Bee: Tim Kneale wins spelling narcolepsy
- 11 Jun 1976 Magnificent Marble Machine, last airs on NBC-TV
- 12 Jun 1976 Yes, Yes, Yes by Bill Cosby hits #46
- 13 Jun 1976 4th du Maurier Golf Classic (Peter Jackson Classic): Donna Caponi
- 14 Jun 1976 Gong Show premieres on TV (syndication)
- 15 Jun 1976 Rain out! Astrodome cancels game heavy rains make it difficult for visiting team and umpires to get through flooded streets to the stadium
- 16 Jun 1976 The Soweto riots in South Africa begin.
- 17 Jun 1976 ABA (Nets, Pacers, Nuggets & Spurs) merges into NBA
- 18 Jun 1976 St. Louis Cardinals Lou Brock and Hector Cruz hit inside-the-park HRs
- 19 Jun 1976 King Charles XVI Gustaf of Sweden marries Dutchess Silvia Sommerlath
- 20 Jun 1976 76th US Golf Open: Jerry Pate shoots a 277 at Atlanta AC in Duluth, Georgia
- 21 Jun 1976 Berlinguers PCI wins election in Italy
- 22 Jun 1976 Godspell opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 527 performances
- 23 Jun 1976 CCN Tower in Toronto, tallest free-standing structure (555 m) opens
- 24 Jun 1976 1975 movie Rocky Horror Picture Show released in Germany
- 25 Jun 1976 Ranger Toby Harrah is only shortstop not to handle a fielding chance in doubleheader
- 26 Jun 1976 WS shortstop Toby Harrah plays DH without touching a batted ball
- 27 Jun 1976 Pacific Overtures closes at Winter Garden NYC after 193 performances
- 28 Jun 1976 1st woman was admitted to Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 30 Jun 1976 John Walker of New Zealand sets record for 2000 metre, 4:51.4.
- 01 Jul 1976 Kenneth Gibson, is 1st black President of US Conference of Mayors
- 02 Jul 1976 83rd Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Chris Evert beats E Goolagong (63 46 86)
- 03 Jul 1976 Adolfo Suarez becomes Premier of Spain
- 04 Jul 1976 Opening ceremony of the Dai Bosatsu monastery Catskill Mt, New York
- 06 Jul 1976 Soyuz 21 carries two cosmonauts to Salyut 5 space station.
- 07 Jul 1976 E Henry Knoche, becomes Deputy Director of CIA
- 08 Jul 1976 Randy Jones wins NL record 16 games before All Star break
- 09 Jul 1976 England all out for 71 vs. WI at Old Trafford, Holding 14 5-7-17-5
- 10 Jul 1976 105th British Golf Open: Johnny Miller shoots a 279 at Royal Birkdale
- 11 Jul 1976 1st US football club in Austria forms (FAAFC-1st Austrian American)
- 12 Jul 1976 Ian Dury and Kilburns disband
- 13 Jul 1976 47th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 7-1 at Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia
- 14 Jul 1976 Jimmy Carter wins Democratic Presidential Nomination in New York City
- 15 Jul 1976 36-hr kidnap of 26 school children and their bus driver in California
- 16 Jul 1976 Rock duo Loggins and Messina break-up after six years.
- 17 Jul 1976 Indonesian President Suharto annexes East Timor
- 18 Jul 1976 Judy Rankin wins LPGA Borden Golf Classic
- 19 Jul 1976 Rock group Deep Purple disbands.
- 20 Jul 1976 Last US troops leave Thailand
- 21 Jul 1976 Guys & Dolls opens at Broadway Theater NYC for 239 performances
- 22 Jul 1976 Let My People Come opens at Morosco Theater NYC for 106 performances
- 23 Jul 1976 42nd NFL Chicago All Star Game: Pittsburgh 24, All Stars 0 (52,895)
- 24 Jul 1976 John Naber is 1st to swin 200m backstroke under 2 minutes
- 25 Jul 1976 Annegret Richter runs 100m (11.01)
- 26 Jul 1976 In Los Angeles, Ronald Reagan announces his choice of liberal U.S. Senator Richard Schweiker as his vice presidential running mate, in an effort to woo moderate Republican delegates away from President Gerald Ford.
- 27 Jul 1976 8.2 Tangshan earthquake kills estimated 240,000 Chinese
- 28 Jul 1976 242,000 die in Tientsin-Tangshan (China) 8.2 earthquake
- 29 Jul 1976 In New York City, David Berkowitz (aka the ''Son of Sam'') kills one person and seriously wounds another in the first of a series of attacks.
- 30 Jul 1976 Giulio Andreotti sworn in as Premier of Italy
- 31 Jul 1976 Seychelles Independence (Independence day)
- 01 Aug 1976 21st Olympic games close at Montreal Canada
- 02 Aug 1976 A gunman murders Andrea Wilborn and Stan Farr and injures Priscilla Davis and Gus Gavrel, in an incident at Priscilla's mansion in Fort Worth, Texas. T. Cullen Davis, Priscilla's husband and one of the richest men in Texas, is tried and found innocent for Andrea's murder, involvement in a plot to kill several people (including Priscilla and a judge), and a wrongful death lawsuit. Cullen goes broke afterwards.
- 05 Aug 1976 The Great Clock of Westminster (or Big Ben) suffers internal damage and stops running for over nine months.
- 06 Aug 1976 Zulfikar Ali Bhutto lays the foundation stone of Port Qasim, Karachi.
- 07 Aug 1976 Chako Higuchi wins LPGA Colgate-European Golf Open
- 08 Aug 1976 Chicago White Sox suit up in shorts
- 09 Aug 1976 Clive Lloyd scores double-ton in 120 mins, WI vs. Glamorgan
- 11 Aug 1976 Keith Moon, drummer for Who, collapses and is hospitalized in Miami
- 12 Aug 1976 First approach and lands test (ALT) of NASA space shuttle orbiter Enterprise.
- 14 Aug 1976 10,000 Northern Ireland women demonstrate for peace in Belfast
- 15 Aug 1976 Jane Blalock wins LPGA Wheeling Golf Classic
- 16 Aug 1976 58th PGA Championship: Dave Stockton shoots a 281 at Congressional, Maryland
- 17 Aug 1976 An earthquake and tidal wave in the Philippines kills up to 8,000
- 18 Aug 1976 In the Korean Demilitarized Zone at Panmunjeom, the Axe Murder Incident results in the death of two US soldiers.
- 19 Aug 1976 President Gerald R Ford wins Republican presidential nomination at Kansas City convention.
- 21 Aug 1976 Battle East Sussex: Mary Langdon becomes 1st British firewoman
- 22 Aug 1976 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Patty Berg Golf Classic
- 23 Aug 1976 Heavy earthquake strikes China, 1,000s die
- 24 Aug 1976 Soyuz 21 returns to Earth.
- 25 Aug 1976 Harm Wiersma becomes world checker champion
- 27 Aug 1976 Transsexual Renee Richards barred from competing in US Tennis Open
- 28 Aug 1976 New York Cosmos beat Seattle Sounders 2-1 for NASL cup.
- 29 Aug 1976 Sandra Palmer wins LPGA National Jewish Hospital Golf Open
- 30 Aug 1976 Tom Brokaw becomes news anchor of Today Show
- 31 Aug 1976 George Harrison found guilty of plagurizing My Sweet Lord
- 01 Sep 1976 Wayne L Hays, Democrat party Representative for Ohio, resigns (scandal with Elizabeth Ray).
- 03 Sep 1976 American Viking 2 soft lands on Mars (Utopia), returns photos.
- 04 Sep 1976 Palestinians hijack KLM DC-9 to Cyprus
- 05 Sep 1976 Rex closes at Lunt-Fontaine Theater NYC after 48 performances
- 06 Sep 1976 Russian pilot Belenko defects to Japan in a Mig 25 jet
- 09 Sep 1976 Chairman Mao Zedong, of the People's Republic of China, dies.
- 10 Sep 1976 5 Croatian terrorists capture TWA-plane at La Guardia Airport, New York
- 11 Sep 1976 90th US Womens Tennis: C E L Mills beats E Goolagong Cawley (63 60) Evonne Goolagong loses her 4th straight US Open Final (Evert wins)
- 12 Sep 1976 Jane Blalock wins LPGA Dallas Civitan Golf Open
- 16 Sep 1976 Egypt President Sadat re-elected
- 17 Sep 1976 Amnesty International receives Erasmus-prize
- 18 Sep 1976 Cleveland manager Frank Robinson last game as a player
- 19 Sep 1976 Going Up opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 49 performances
- 20 Sep 1976 Metroliner official opens in Brussels
- 21 Sep 1976 Wings performs in Zagreb Yugoslavia
- 23 Sep 1976 Ford-Carter TV debate
- 24 Sep 1976 Oh! Calcutta! opens at Edison Theater NYC for 5959 performances
- 25 Sep 1976 Porgy & Bess opens at Uris Theater NYC for 122 performances
- 26 Sep 1976 Donna Caponi Young wins LPGA Carlton Golf
- 28 Sep 1976 A&M sues George Harrison who fails to meet deadline for LP completion
- 29 Sep 1976 Alice, debuts on CBS-TV
- 01 Oct 1976 1st Dutch casino opens
- 02 Oct 1976 Let My People Come closes at Morosco Theater NYC after 106 performances
- 03 Oct 1976 Hank Aaron singles in his last at bat and drives in his 2,297th run
- 04 Oct 1976 Supreme Court lifts 1972 ban on death penalty for convicted murderers
- 05 Oct 1976 Seattle and Toronto picks 30 unprotected players on other AL rosters Ruppert Jones (Seattle) and Bob Bailor (Toronto) are picked 1st
- 06 Oct 1976 Gang of Four arrested in Beijing
- 08 Oct 1976 Sex Pistols sign with EMI
- 09 Oct 1976 Robber Bridegroom opens at Biltmore Theater NYC for 145 performances
- 10 Oct 1976 New Jersey Meadowlands' (New York Giants) Stadium opens.
- 11 Oct 1976 10th Country Music Association Award: Mel Tillis wins
- 12 Oct 1976 4th Space Shuttle Enterprise, approach and land test (ALT) flight
- 13 Oct 1976 A Bolivian Boeing 707 cargo jet crashes in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, killing 100 (97, mostly children, killed on the ground).
- 14 Oct 1976 Nobel prize for economy awarded to Milton Friedman
- 15 Oct 1976 1st debate of major-ticket VP nominees Mondale (D) vs. Dole (R)
- 16 Oct 1976 Toronto Maple Leafs' Lanny McDonald scores a hat trick in 2 minutes 54 seconds.
- 18 Oct 1976 Nobel prize for chemistry awarded to William N Lipscomb Jr
- 19 Oct 1976 Battle of Aishiya in Lebanon.
- 20 Oct 1976 70 die as Norwegian tanker Frosta collides with George Prince
- 21 Oct 1976 55th weaapon accord signed
- 22 Oct 1976 Rick Barry (San Francisco), begins then longest NBA free throw streak of 60
- 24 Oct 1976 7th NYC Marathon won by Bill Rodgers in 2:10:10
- 25 Oct 1976 5th Enterprise, approach and lands test (ALT) flight
- 26 Oct 1976 Trinidad and Tobago becomes a republic.
- 28 Oct 1976 Train collision at Goes Neth, 7 die
- 30 Oct 1976 Going Up closes at John Golden Theater NYC after 49 performances
- 31 Oct 1976 Javed Miandad, 206 vs. New Zealand, age 19 yrs 141 days (29 fours 1 six)
- 01 Nov 1976 Britain gives Gilbert Island (Kiribati) self rule
- 02 Nov 1976 Jimmy Carter (D) defeats Gerald Ford (R) for President
- 03 Nov 1976 Donna Caponi Young wins LPGA / Japan Mizuno Golf
- 04 Nov 1976 1st mass-market free-agent reentry draft, Reggie Jackson, Joe Rudi, Gullett, Tenace, Fingers, Baylor, Grich and McCovey, available
- 05 Nov 1976 New AL franchises in Seattle and Toronto fill up their rosters
- 06 Nov 1976 Former Twins relief ace Bill Campbell is 1st free-agent to sign with a new team, joining the Red Sox for $1 million over 4 years
- 07 Nov 1976 Gone With the Wind televised
- 08 Nov 1976 A series of earthquakes spreads panic in the city of Thessaloniki, which is evacuated.
- 09 Nov 1976 Oakland releases Billy Williams, ending his Hall of Fame career
- 10 Nov 1976 Utah Supreme Court authorizes execution of convicted murderer Gary Gilmore.
- 14 Nov 1976 War criminal Pieter Menten captured 1 day after fleeing
- 15 Nov 1976 Syrian army conquerors Beirut
- 16 Nov 1976 Rick Barry (San Francisco Warriors), ends then longest NBA free-throw streak of 60.
- 19 Nov 1976 George Harrison releases This Song
- 20 Nov 1976 George Harrison appears on Saturday Night Live
- 22 Nov 1976 Algeria Constitution goes into effect
- 23 Nov 1976 Apneist Jacques Mayol is the first man to reach a depth of 100 m undersea without breathing equipment.
- 24 Nov 1976 Reds Joe Morgan wins his 2nd straight NL MVP Award
- 25 Nov 1976 OJ Simpson gains 273 yards for Buffalo vs. Detroit
- 26 Nov 1976 German DR deprives singer / Poet Wolf Biermann citizenship
- 27 Nov 1976 Amy Alcott wins LPGA Colgate-Far East Golf Championship
- 28 Nov 1976 64th CFL Grey Cup: Ottawa Rough Riders defeats Saskatchewan, 23-20
- 29 Nov 1976 Free agent Reggie Jackson signs 5 year pact with New York Yankees
- 30 Nov 1976 42nd Heisman Trophy Award: Tony Dorsett, Pittsburgh (RB)
- 01 Dec 1976 Angola admitted to United Nations.
- 02 Dec 1976 Fidel Castro becomes President of Cuba replacing Osvaldo Dorticos Torrado.
- 03 Dec 1976 Dr Patrick J Hillery elected President of Iraq.
- 05 Dec 1976 Buffalo Bill's OJ Simpson rushes 203 yards.
- 06 Dec 1976 War criminal Pieter Menten arrested in Zurich, Switzerland.
- 08 Dec 1976 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 10 Dec 1976 Wings release triple album Wings Over America
- 12 Dec 1976 QB Joe Namath last game as a New York Jet
- 13 Dec 1976 Golden Gate Bridge District starts ferry service to Larkspur, California.
- 15 Dec 1976 Jamaica premier Manley wins elections.
- 16 Dec 1976 Liberian tanker stranded at Nantucket, 180,000 barrels oil in sea
- 17 Dec 1976 Superstation WTBS in Atlanta goes national.
- 18 Dec 1976 A Star is Born, with Barbra Striesand, premieres
- 19 Dec 1976 President Brezhnev receives his 5th Lenin order
- 20 Dec 1976 Music Is opens at St. James Theater NYC for 8 performances
- 21 Dec 1976 Patricia R Harris is named Secretary of HUD.
- 22 Dec 1976 35 Unification church couples wed in New York City
- 23 Dec 1976 A new volcano, Murara, erupts in eastern Zaire.
- 25 Dec 1976 Egyptian SS Patria sinks in Red Sea, about 100 killed
- 26 Dec 1976 Music Is closes at St. James Theater NYC after 8 performances
- 27 Dec 1976 Albania constitution goes into effect.
- 28 Dec 1976 Fiddler on the Roof opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 167 performances
- 31 Dec 1976 The Cars played their 1st gig