1976 was a landmark year for the computer/tech field. Cray-1, the world’s first commercial supercomputer, was released this year. It was also this year that Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak founded Apple Computer Company.
In space exploration news, NASA’s Viking 2 landed on Mars. Shortly after landing, Viking 2 got to work, sending the first-ever close-up, color photos of the Mars surface.
This year in the Disco Decade, music was not all about the disco genre.
The Ramones released their first album this year, Ramones. Stevie Wonder also released his legendary album, Songs in the Key of Life. In more rock news, 1976 was the year that U2 was formed and the Eagles released their famous album, Hotel California.
In television and film, this was the year that The Muppet Show broadcast for the first time on the ITV network. 1976 was the year that Sylvester Stallone starred as Rocky Balboa, “The Italian Stallion,” in the great sports drama, Rocky. The film would go on to win Best Picture at the 49th Academy Awards and would launch a film franchise, not to mention Stallone’s career. Another great film, Taxi Driver, starring Robert De Niro, was also released this year. At the 48th Academy Awards in 1976, it was One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, starring Jack Nicholson, which took home the award for Best Picture. Filming of the first Star Wars film began this year as well.
1976 was a notable year for literature and theatre as well. In the field of literature, novelist Anne Rice published her first novel, which would become one of her best-known works – Interview With a Vampire. In theatre, Ian McKellen and Judi Dench put on a very memorable performance of “The Scottish Play,” Macbeth, with the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Which were the most popular movies released this year ?
Which were the top hits of 1976 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Silver Convention - Get Up And Boogie (That's Right)
- Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music
- Rod Stewart - Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright)
- Walter Murphy - A Fifth Of Beethoven
- Spinners - The Rubberband Man
- K.C and the Sunshine Band - (Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty
- Rick Dees - Disco Duck (Part 1)
- Wings - Silly Love Songs
- England Dan and John Ford Coley - I'd Really Love To See You Tonight
- Diana Ross - Love Hangover
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Elton John & Kiki Dee - Don't Go Breaking My Heart
- Abba - Dancing Queen
- Pussycat - Mississippi
- Abba - Fernando
- Brotherhood Of Man - Save Your Kisses For Me
- The Real Thing - You To Me Are Everything
- Tina Charles - I Love To Love
- JJ Barrie - No Charge
- Wings - Let 'Em In
- The Four Seasons - December '63
Which were the most popular books released in 1976 ?
Which were the top popular names given to babies born in 1976 in the USA ?
Top #10 male names
Top #10 female names
What happened in each day of 1976
Click on the dates below to find out what the world looked like in each day of 1976