Saturday 11 February 1989
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Straight Up by Paula Abdul.
In UK Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart by Marc Almond featuring Gene Pitney was in the top 5 hits.
The 'Burbs, directed by Joe Dante, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while Midnight by Dean R. Koontz was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1989.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 February 1989!
Which were the important events of 11 February 1989 ?
- World Day of the Sick.
- Catholicism - Feast day of Our Lady of Lourdes.
- National Foundation Day in Japan (See Holidays of Japan.)
- National Youth Day in Cameroon.
- Professor Leets' Day in the United States.
- National Inventors' Day in the United States.
- Elisa Izquierdo: American victim of child abuse and murder.
- Alexander Büttner: Dutch footballer.
- Lovi Poe: Filipina singer and television actress.
- George O'Hanlon, American actor/director (Bop Girl, Zamba), dies at age 71 (born 1912).
- US female Figure Skating championship won by Jill Trenary.
- Barbara Clementine Harris is consecrated as the first female bishop of the Episcopal Church in the USA.
- Union Carbide agrees to pay USD $470 million to the Indian government for damages it caused in the 1984 Bhopal Disaster.
- Iranian leader Ruhollah Khomeini encourages Muslims to kill ''The Satanic Verses'' author Salman Rushdie.
- The first of 24 Global Positioning System satellites is placed into orbit.
- Soviet war in Afghanistan: The Soviet Union announces that all of its troops have left Afghanistan.
- Following a campaign that saw over 1000 people killed in massive campaign-related violence, the United National Party wins the Sri Lankan parliamentary election.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Paula Abdul - Straight Up
- Sheriff - When I'm With You
- Tone Loc - Wild Thing
- Bon Jovi - Born To Be My Baby
- White Lion - When The Children Cry
- Tiffany - All This Time
- Sheena Easton - The Lover In Me
- Samantha Fox - I Wanna Have Some Fun
- Rick Astley - She Wants To Dance With Me
- Information Society - Walking Away
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?