Monday 25 December 1978, Christmas
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Simon Jones and Joel Porter.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Le Freak by Chic.
In UK Mull Of Kintyre / Girl's School by Wings was in the top 5 hits.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers, directed by Philip Kaufman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1978
while Chesapeake by James A. Michener was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Der ganz normale Wahnsinn.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing 3-D Docking Mission or Space War.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 December 1978!
Which were the important events of 25 December 1978 ?
- Christmas Day is a Christian holiday on this day celebrating the Nativity of Jesus. It is a public holiday in many countries, including almost everywhere in the Americas, most European nations, the Philippines and most of Oceania, some African countries, the Commonwealth of Nations, and various other countries and regions. Many non-Christians, including non-theists, celebrate secular aspects of the holiday, such as decorating Christmas trees and exchanging gifts with family and friends. Some
- Pakistan - Quaid's Day is celebrated as a national holiday in Pakistan in honour of the birth of Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
- British Isles - a quarter day in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland. (but not in Scotland)
- Roman festivals - (re)birth of Sol Invictus, the winter solstice feast in the Roman Empire since 274.
- Simon Jones: English cricketer.
- Joel Porter: Australian footballer and manager.
- Bridgetta Tomarchio: American actress and model.
- Vietnam launches a major offensive against the Khmer Rouge of Cambodia.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1978 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Chic - Le Freak
- Bee Gees - Too Much Heaven
- Barbra & Neil - You Don't Bring Me Flowers
- Billy Joel - My Life
- Alicia Bridges - I Love The Nightlife (Disco Round)
- Gino Vannelli - I Just Wanna Stop
- Dr. Hook - Sharing The Night Together
- Village People - Y.M.C.A.
- Andy Gibb - (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away
- Toto - Hold The Line
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Wings - Mull Of Kintyre / Girl's School
- Boney M - Mary's Boy Child
- The Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band - Floral Dance
- Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?
- Donna Summer - Love's Unkind
- The Village People - YMCA
- Bonnie Tyler - It's A Heartache
- The Barron Knights - A Taste Of Aggro
- Crystal Gayle - Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
- The Bee Gees - Too Much Heaven
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?