Monday 27 January 1997
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Bill Clinton (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Un-Break My Heart by Toni Braxton.
In UK Professional Widow (It's Got To Be Big) by Tori Amos was in the top 5 hits.
Chasing Amy, directed by Kevin Smith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1997
while The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1997.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 January 1997!
Which were the important events of 27 January 1997 ?
- UN ? International Holocaust Memorial Day
- Germany ? Gedenktag fnr die Opfer des Nationalsozialismus (Commemoration Day for the Victims of National Socialism).
- Catholicism ? Catholic Schools Week.
- Poland ? Dzie? Pami?ci Ofiar Nazizmu (Memorial Day for the Victims of Nazism).
- Italy ? Giorno della Memoria (Memorial Day).
- Denmark ? Auschwitzdag (Auschwitz Day; commemoration day for the victims of the Holocaust and other genocide).
- Serbia ? St. Sava Day.
- United Kingdom ? Holocaust Memorial Day.
Famous Birthdays:27 January
- Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, opens at Gershwin, New York City
- 24th American Music Awards: Toni Braxton and Alanis Morissette win.
- On their way to Lebanon, 2 Israeli troop-transport helicopters collide, killing 73.
- After at first contesting the results, Serbian President Slobodan Milošević recognizes opposition victories in the November 1996 elections.
- British Home Secretary Michael Howard informs Moors Murderer Myra Hindley that she will never be released from prison. Mr. Howard has made the decision in agreement with a recommendation made by his predecessor David Waddington in 1990.
- The so-called ampquotBig Threeampquot banks in Switzerland announced the creation of a $71 million fund to aid Holocaust survivors and their families.
- Morgan Stanley and Dean Witter Reynolds investment banks announced a $10 billion merger.
- The United States Army suspends Gene C. McKinney, Sergeant Major of the Army, its top-ranking enlisted soldier, after hearing allegations of sexual misconduct.
- Sandline affair: Australian newspapers publish stories that the government of Papua New Guinea has brought mercenaries onto Bougainville Island.
- ''STS-82'': Tune-up and repair work on the Hubble Space Telescope is started by astronauts from ''Space Shuttle Discovery''.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average closes above 7,000 for the first time, gaining 60.81 to 7,022.44.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1997 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Toni Braxton - Un-Break My Heart
- En Vogue - Don't Let Go (Love)
- R. Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly
- Whitney Houston - I Believe In You And Me
- Keith Sweat - Nobody
- The Spice Girls - Wannabe
- BLACKstreet - No Diggity
- New Edition - I'm Still In Love With You
- Jewel - You Were Meant For Me
- Merril Bainbridge - Mouth
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?