Monday 1 May 1950
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Marina Stepanova and Alain Begrand.
D.O.A., directed by Rudolph Mat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Alan Young Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1950 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Marina Stepanova: Russian hurdler (world record 1986).
- Alain Begrand: French political activist, a student protester killed while trying to escape police at a Parisian university on 13 May 1980 at 5:30pm.
- Dann Florek: American actor.
- John Diehl: American actor and producer.
- Danny McGrain: Scottish footballer and coach.
- Gwendolyn Brooks, is 1st Black awarded a Pulitzer Prize (poetry)
- Mayor of Brussels reluctantly bans May Day parade
- Pulitzer prize awarded to Rodgers and Hammerstein (South Pacific)
- WJIM (now WLNS) TV channel 6 in Lansing, MI (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Guam is organized as a United States commonwealth.
- UNRWA operations begin.
- The town of Cazin (Bosnia) rises up against Communist agrarian reforms.
- Tollund Man is unearthed in Denmark.
- Robert Schuman presents his proposal for the creation of a pan-European organisation, which he believes to be indispensable to the maintenance of permanently peaceful relations between the different nations of the continent. This proposal, known as the ampquotSchuman declarationampquot, is considered to be the beginning of the creation of what is now the European Union.
- L. Ron Hubbard publishes ''Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health''.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 May 1950
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1950 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Hoop-Dee-Doo - Perry Como & Fontane Sisters
- Bewitched - Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra
- Mindy Carson - My Foolish Heart
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?