Tuesday 9 May 1950
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include James A Butts and Tom Petersson in Rockford.
Please Believe Me, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1950 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- James A Butts: Los Angeles, California -- Triple jumper (1976 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Tom Petersson in Rockford: Illinois, USA; rock bassist (Cheap Trick).
- Matthew Kelly: British entertainer, seen primarily on TV.
- Marcheline Bertrand: Family Member.
- James Butts: American triple jumper.
- Tom Petersson: American bass player and songwriter (Cheap Trick and Fuse)
- Esteban Terradas i Illa: Catalan mathematician, scientist, and engineer (Born 1883).
- French Foreign minister Robert Schuman announces the Schuman Plan for European integration.
- Robert Schuman presents his proposal on the creation of an organized Europe, which according to him was indispensable to the maintenance of peaceful relations. This proposal, known as the ''Schuman declaration'', is considered by some people to be the beginning of the creation of what is now the European Union.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 May 1950
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Hoop-Dee-Doo - Kay Starr
- Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra - Roses
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?