Friday 1 May 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Eddie Johnson and Paul Smith.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Watch That Ends The Night by Hugh MacLennan was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1959 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Eddie Johnson: NBA guard / forward (Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers).
- Paul Smith: rock saxophonist (Haircut 100).
- Yasmina Reza: French actress and playwright.
- Lawrence Seeff: South African cricketer and basket weaver.
- Oscar Torp: Norwegian premier, dies.
- White Sox Early Wynn beats Red Sox 1-0 on his own HR
- West Germany introduces five-day work week.
- Floyd Patterson knocks out Brian London in 11 rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
- Travis and Bob - Tell Him No
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?