Sunday 24 May 1959
It was Sunday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include George Glanos and Drake Sather.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Kansas City by Wilbert Harrison.
In UK A Fool Such As I / I Need Your Love Tonight by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1959!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1959 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- George Glanos: horse trainer.
- Drake Sather: Screenwriter.
- Pelle Lindbergh: Goalie (Philadelphia Flyers), dies in drunk driving accident.
- John Foster Dulles: American, 52nd United States Secretary of State (Born 1888).
- 1st house with built-in bomb shelter exhibited (Pleasant Hills Pa)
- Empire Day renamed Commonwealth Day in England.
- First house with built-in bomb shelter exhibited (Pleasant Hills, Pennsylvania).
- British Empire Day is renamed Commonwealth Day.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Dion and the Belmonts - A Teenager In Love
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Martin Denny - Quiet Village
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?