January 1937 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1937.
The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Stanley Baldwin (Conservative), Pope Pius XI was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1937: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1937?
- 01 Jan 1937 Count Claus von Stauffenberg promoted to captain
- 03 Jan 1937 The first science fiction convention is held in Leeds, England.
- 05 Jan 1937 Fingleton and Donald Bradman make record stand of 346 for 6th wicket.
- 06 Jan 1937 Bradman scores 270 Aust vs. England at the MCG, incl 110 singles
- 08 Jan 1937 -50 degrees F (-45.6 degrees C), San Jacinto, Nevada (state record low).
- 09 Jan 1937 Italian regime bans marriages between Italians and Abyssinians.
- 11 Jan 1937 The first issue of ''Look'' magazine goes on sale in the United States.
- 12 Jan 1937 Plow for laying submarine cable patented.
- 19 Jan 1937 Millionaire Howard Hughes sets transcontinental air record (7:28:25).
- 20 Jan 1937 -45 degrees F (-43 degrees C), Boca, California (state record low).
- 23 Jan 1937 In Moscow, 17 leading Communists go on trial accused of participating in a plot led by Leon Trotsky to overthrow Joseph Stalin's regime and assassinate its leaders.
- 25 Jan 1937 1st broadcast of Guiding Light on NBC radio
- 26 Jan 1937 The U.S. state of Michigan celebrates its Centennial Anniversary of statehood.
British-Welsh singer noted for her dynamic style and powerful voice.
British actress and noted family, the daughter of actor Sir Michael Redgrave (born 3/20/1908, Bristol) and his wife, actress Rachel Kempson...
French actress of the new wave, launched by Eric Rohmer.
- See more
Actor (Captain Blood, Boulder Dam), dies at 29.
Composer, dies at 72.
Italian physicist (Born 1876).
Canadian religious figure (Born 1845).
- See more