Saturday 9 January 1937
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Paul Guerlain and Joseph Epstein.
Secret Valley, directed by Howard Bretherton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1937
On TV people were watching The World of Women.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 January 1937
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1937!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1937 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Jean-Paul Guerlain: French perfumer and the former head of the company Guerlain.
- Joseph Epstein: American writer, essayist, editor and educator whose work includes three published collections of essays, two collections of literary criticism, two nonfiction books, and courses in literature and writing conducted as a visiting lecturer at Northwestern University.
- K Schlesinger: Writer.
- Michael Nicholson: English journalist and author.
- Italian regime bans marriages between Italians and Abyssinians.