Saturday 1 August 1981
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Ashley Angel and Brett Chukerman.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield.
In UK Ghost Town by The Specials was in the top 5 hits.
Heavy Metal, directed by Gerald Potterton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1981
while Noble House by James Clavell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Troubles.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Jump Bug or Oo-Topos.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1981.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1981!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1981 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Ashley Angel: American singer-songwriter guitarist and actor (O-Town).
- Brett Chukerman: American actor.
- Dean Cox: Australian footballer.
- Vaiko Eplik: Estonian singer-songwriter guitarist and producer.
- Taylor Fry: American actress.
- Pia Haraldsen: Norwegian journalist and author
- Christofer Heimeroth: German footballer
- Stephen Hunt: Irish footballer
- Jamie Jones-Buchanan: English rugby player
- Miracle Laurie: American actress
- Sally Pressman: American actress and dancer
- MTV premieres at 12:01 AM
- Poland Premier Jagielski resigns
- MTV music video TV begins broadcasting in the United States and airs its first video, Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggles.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1981 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
- Air Supply - The One That You Love
- Joey Scarbury - Theme From The Greatest American Hero (Believe It Or Not)
- Kenny Rogers - I Don't Need You
- Oak Ridge Boys - Elvira
- Pointer Sisters - Slow Hand
- Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
- The Manhattan Transfer - Boy From New York City
- Marty Balin - Hearts
- Juice Newton - Queen Of Hearts
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?