Wednesday 14 May 1980
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Call Me by Blondie.
In UK What's Another Year by Johnny Logan was in the top 5 hits.
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back, directed by Irvin Kershner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 May 1980!
Which were the important events of 14 May 1980 ?
- St. Carthach the Younger
- DubsDay in Dublin Ireland (14th of May in 2006).
- Mother's Day in various countries (second Sunday of May in 2006).
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut, or Israeli Independence Day. The observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Paraguay - Flag Day.
- St. Maria Dominic Mazzarello
- St. Just
- St. Engelmer
- St. Vincent of Lerins
- St. Victor and Corona
- St. Boniface of Tarsus
- St. Michael Garicoits
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: St. Matthias (Apostle)
- St. Engelmund
- Zdenek Grygera: Czech footballer.
- Julia Sebestyen: Hungarian figure skater.
- Zdeněk Grygera: Czech footballer.
- Pavel Londak: Estonian footballer.
- Eugene Martineau: Dutch decathlete.
- Musical Chairs opens at Rialto Theater NYC for 15 performances
- Department of Health & Human Services begins operation
- Bucky Dent hits an inside the park homerun, Kansas City Royals walk 14 New York Yankees including five with bases loaded, New York Yankees win 16-3.
- Valencia wins 20th Europe Cup II.
- Botswana recognizes the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR).
- A Tampa, Florida court acquits 4 white police officers of killing Arthur McDuffie, a black insurance executive, provoking 3 days of race riots in Miami.
- Internal conflict in Peru: On the eve of presidential elections, Maoist guerrilla group Shining Path attacks a polling location in the town of Chuschi, Ayacucho.
- Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington, killing 57 and causing US$3 billion in damage.
- Ian Curtis, singer/songwriter of acclaimed post punk band Joy Division, is found hanged.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Blondie - Call Me
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
- Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown
- Christopher Cross - Ride Like The Wind
- Air Supply - Lost In Love
- Ambrosia - Biggest Part Of Me
- Billy Preston - With You I'm Born Again
- Kenny Rogers - Don't Fall In Love With A Dreamer
- Dr. Hook - Sexy Eyes
- Billy Joel - You May Be Right
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?