Wednesday 1 April 1953
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Barry Sonnenfeld and Alberto Zaccheroni.
In UK She Wears Red Feathers by Guy Mitchell was in the top 5 hits.
Glen or Glenda, directed by Edward D. Wood Jr., was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Power Of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Eye Witness.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1953!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1953 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Barry Sonnenfeld: Director (When Harry Met Sally, Big, Misery).
- Alberto Zaccheroni: Italian footballer and manager.
- KXMC TV channel 13 in Minot, ND (CBS / ABC) begins broadcasting
- Walcott Worrell and Weekes all make centuries in innings versus India.
- J van Bale appointed Governor of New Guinea.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1953 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?