The 1950s saw the battle between communism and capitalism heat-up.
1953 specifically saw many events centering on this conflict: executed spies, government changeovers, and the power struggle after the death of Joseph Stalin, and an uprising in Eastern Germany. The world population measured just 2.66 billion.
Out of the 3.95 babies born in the United States in 1953, many of them were named Robert or Mary. The silver screen saw the popularity of two Japanese-produced movies, Tokyo Story and Ugetsu, along with the first screening of the classic Gentlemen Prefer Blonds. In 1953, Fahrenheit 451, Childhood’s End, The Crucible, and the Pulitzer-winning The Old Man and the Sea flew off the bookstore shelves. In addition, this year also saw a lot of firsts for weaponry, science, movie technology, and the creation of a new republic.
In science, three items of note happened. Jonas Salk gave hope to millions by announcing his development of a working polio vaccine. On February 21st, Crick and Watson declared their discovery of DNA structure. Lastly, for the medical field, the army commissioned its first female doctor.
Technology and the media changed quite a bit as well. TV Guide and Playboy published their first issues in 1953, and the first 3-D movie, House of Wax, hit theaters worldwide. The world grew taller as Sir Edmund Hillary became the first person to crest the peak of Mount Everest. Outside of the USA, Egypt proclaimed itself a republic on June 18th and Fidel Castro rebelled against the former government of Cuba. Finally, Winston Churchill, a Nobel Prize winner and the British prime minister in World War Two, was knighted for his service in World War Two. So, whether you love those old red-and-blue glasses, or prefer kicking back with a TV Guide, 1953 played some part in that.
Which were the most popular movies released this year ?
Which were the top hits of 1953 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Laine - I Believe
- Dean Martin - That's Amore
- Kay Starr - Changing Partners
- Tony Bennett - Stranger In Paradise
- Eddie Fisher - Oh! My Pa-pa
- Eddie Calvert - Oh, Mein Papa
- Four Aces - The Gang That Sang Heart of My Heart
- Johnny Desmond - Woman
- Tony Martin - Stranger In Paradise
- Eddie Fisher - Downhearted
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Frankie Laine - I Believe
- Terry's Theme (From 'Limelight') - Frank Chacksfield
- The Song From The Moulin Rouge - Mantovani
- I'm Walking Behind You - Eddie Fisher With Sally Sweetland
- Guy Mitchell - She Wears Red Feathers
- Eddie Fisher - Outside Of Heaven
- Mario Lanza - Because You're Mine
- Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes - Perry Como & The Ramblers
- Guy Mitchell - Look At That Girl
- Kay Starr - Comes A-Long A-Love
Which were the most popular books released in 1953 ?
Which were the top popular names given to babies born in 1953 in the USA ?
Top #10 male names
Top #10 female names
What happened in each day of 1953
Click on the dates below to find out what the world looked like in each day of 1953