Sunday 1 March 1953
It was Sunday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Ron Howard in Duncan and Catherine Bach.
In UK Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes by Perry Como & The Ramblers was in the top 5 hits.
The Naked Spur, directed by Anthony Mann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Romper Room and Friends.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1953!
Which were the important events of 1 March 1953 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Ron Howard in Duncan: Oklahoma, USA; actor/director (American Graffiti, Happy Days, Willow, Backdraft).
- Catherine Bach: American actress seen in minor film roles and a popular TV series, "The Dukes of Hazard," in which she played a voluptuous backwoods girl.
- Michael Kropowenski: American kidnapper, a former policeman, abducted his ex-wife, Susan Foster Kropowenski on 3/05/1993.
- Sinan Çetin: Turkish actor director and producer.
- Carlos Queiroz: Portuguese footballer and manager.
- M Stalin: Indian actor and politician
- Anton GO Ridder Van Rappard: painter/lithographer/etcher, dies.
- KAUZ TV channel 6 in Wichita Falls, TX (CBS) begins broadcasting
- KTNT (now KSTW) TV channel 11 in Tacoma-Seattle, WA (IND) begins
- WJZ-AM in NYC becomes WABC; WJZ-TV in Baltimore final transmission
- WTAJ TV channel 10 in Altoona, PA (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Babe Didrikson-Zaharias wins LPGA Sarasota Golf Open.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 March 1953
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1953 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?