Friday 9 May 1980
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Angela Nikodinov in Spartanburg and Tatewin Means.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Call Me by Blondie.
In UK Working My Way Back To You / Forgive Me Girl by The Detroit Spinners was in the top 5 hits.
Fame, directed by Alan Parker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Random Winds by Belva Plain was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Señorita Andrea.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Wizard of Wor or B-1 Nuclear Bomber.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 9 May 1980 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Tatewin Means: Miss South Dakota Teen USA (1996).
- Angela Nikodinov in Spartanburg: South Carolina; figure skater (1997 Pacific Senior champion).
- Jo Hyeon-jae: South Korean actor.
- Pat Contri: YouTube Star.
- Grant Hackett: Australian swimmer.
- Jo Hyun-jae: South Korean actor and singer.
- Angela Nikodinov: American figure skater.
- Tony Schmidt: German race car driver.
- 35 motorists die as a Liberian freighter rams a Tampa Bay Bridge
- In Florida, Liberian freighter MV Summit Venture collides with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay, making a 1,400-ft. section of the southbound span collapse. 35 people in six cars and a Greyhound bus fall 150 ft. into the water and die.
- In Norco, California, five masked gunman hold up a Security Pacific bank, leading to a violent shoot-out and one of the largest pursuits in California history. Two of the gunmen and one police officer are killed and thirty-three police and civilian vehicles are destroyed in the chase.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Blondie - Call Me
- Christopher Cross - Ride Like The Wind
- Air Supply - Lost In Love
- Billy Preston - With You I'm Born Again
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
- Bob Seger - Fire Lake
- Billy Joel - You May Be Right
- Dr. Hook - Sexy Eyes
- Kenny Rogers - Don't Fall In Love With A Dreamer
- Jimmy Ruffin - Hold On To My Love
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?