Monday 9 May 1949
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Oleg Yuriyevich and Billy Joel in Hicksville.
The Barkleys of Broadway, directed by Charles Walters, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Clock.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1949 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Oleg Yuriyevich: Atkov; Russian cosmonaut (Soyuz T-10).
- Billy Joel in Hicksville: Long Island, New York, USA; singer/songwriter/piano player ("Pianoman", "Captain Jack", "Bridge").
- Billy Joel: American singer inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1992 after 15 years preparation for success as a singer and songwriter.
- Peter Niehenke: German astrologer and psychotherapist (since 1981) who has been practicing since 1975.
- Henri Seroka: Belgian singer and composer.
- Richard Williamson: American lawyer and diplomat 17th Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs (d. 2013)
- Rainier III of Monaco becomes Prince of Monaco.
- Israel is admitted to the United Nations as its 59th member.
- Siam officially changes its French name to ampquotThaïlandeampquot (English name to ampquotThailandampquot), having officially changed its Thai name to ampquotPrated Thaiampquot since 1939.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1949 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Dinah Shore & Buddy Clark - Baby, It's Cold Outside
- Again - Art Mooney & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?