Thursday 12 September 1974
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Gerald Ford (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Caroline Aigle and Jennifer Nettles.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to I Shot The Sheriff by Eric Clapton.
In UK Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas was in the top 5 hits.
Amarcord, directed by Federico Fellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1974
while Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Microbes and Men.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Maze War or Spasim.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 September 1974!
Which were the important events of 12 September 1974 ?
- Also see September 12 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Maryland (United States) - Defenders Day
- Cape Verde - National Day
- Ethiopia - National Revolution Day (1974)
- RC Saints - Holy Name of Mary
- Caroline Aigle: French commander (major) and aviatrix who achieved a historical first when, at the age of 25, she became the first woman fighter pilot in the French Air Force.
- Jennifer Nettles: American country singer (Sugarland).
- Guy Smith: English race car driver.
- Kenichi Suzumura: Japanese voice actor and singer-songwriter.
- Nuno Valente: Portuguese footballer and coach.
- Coup overthrows Emperor Haile Selassie in Ethiopia (National Day)
- Jeff Skunk Baxter joins Doobie Brothers
- Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia, 'Messiah' of the Rastafari movement, is deposed following a military coup by the Derg, ending a reign of 58 years.
- Juventude Africana Amilcar Cabral is founded in Guinea-Bissau.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 12 September 1974
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1974 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Eric Clapton - I Shot The Sheriff
- Paul Anka - (You're) Having My Baby
- Andy Kim - Rock Me Gently
- Donny and Marie Osmond - I'm Leaving It (All) Up To You
- Barry White - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe
- Billy Preston - Nothing From Nothing
- Rufus - Tell Me Something Good
- Dionne Warwicke - Then Came You
- Helen Reddy - You And Me Against The World
- The Guess Who - Clap For The Wolfman
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?