1974 saw the world population reach 4 billion people, according to an estimation by the U.S. Census Bureau released in April.
On March 18th, the oil crisis caused by the embargo on oil sales to the U.S, Europe, and Japan ended as most of the members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) lifted the embargo.
In Portugal, a right-wing military coup referred to as the Carnation Revolution conducted on April 25th ended 48 years of dictatorship in the country. In the same vein, the Greek military junta was replaced by a civilian government on July 23rd after seven years of military rule.
In the United States, President Richard Nixon announced his resignation following the Watergate Scandal on August 8, one day after French high-wire artist completed his famed high-wire walk between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City. Vice President Gerald Ford succeeded Nixon as 38th President of the United States and pardoned his predecessor a month later.
In sports, on April 8th baseball player Hank Aaron tied Babe Ruth for the all-time number of home runs with his 714th, a record he would break four days later in Atlanta. At the international level, West Germany won the 1974 FIFA world cup by defeating the Netherlands 2-1 on July 7th.
English rock group Queen released the first of a string of hit singles, “Seven Seas of Rhye” on March 8th and the Hungarian architecture professor Erno Rubikinvented the famous Rubik’s Cube Puzzle. George Roy Hill’s The Sting won the Oscar for Best Picture. In science, the skeleton of a member of the Australopithecus afarensis, nicknamed “Lucy” was discovered on November 24th.
Notable births in 1974 include English Actor Christian Bale, English singer Victoria Beckham and Spanish actress Penélope Cruz.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 47th edition of the Oscar ceremony
The Godfather Part II
Francis Ford Coppola
Best supporting actor
Robert De Niro
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1974?
Which were the most popular books released in 1974 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1974
- Seán MacBride
- Eisaku Satō
- Eyvind Johnson
- Harry Martinson
- Martin Ryle
- Antony Hewish
- Gunnar Myrdal
- Friedrich Hayek
- Paul Flory
Physiology or Medicine
- Albert Claude
- Christian de Duve
- George Emil Palade
Which were the top hits of 1974?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Elton John - Bennie And The Jets
- Jackson 5 - Dancing Machine
- Barbra Streisand - The Way We Were
- Dionne Warwicke - Then Came You
- Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun
- Ray Stevens - The Streak
- The Stylistics - You Make Me Feel Brand New
- John Denver - Annie's Song
- Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods - Billy, Don't Be A Hero
- Stevie Wonder - You Haven't Done Nothin'
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Barry White - You're The First, The Last, My Everything
- Paper Lace - Billy, Don't Be A Hero
- John Denver - Annie's Song
- The Rubettes - Sugar Baby Love
- Suzi Quatro - Devil Gate Drive
- Ken Boothe - Everything I Own
- Mud - Tiger Feet
- George McCrae - Rock Your Baby
- The Drifters - Kissin' In The Back Row
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1974
- Total population: 4.0 billion (4,003,794,172 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.5 billion, that is 37.0% of the total population of 1974 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +76.2 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.94%
- Average density: 27.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1974?
- 01 Jan 1974 World Population Year begins
- 02 Jan 1974 55 mph speed limit imposed by Richard Nixon
- 03 Jan 1974 Arias Navarro succeeds Carrero Blanco as premier of Spain.
- 04 Jan 1974 United States President Richard Nixon refuses to hand over materials subpoenaed by the Senate Watergate Committee.
- 05 Jan 1974 Raul Julia appears on Bob Newhart Show in Oh, Brother
- 06 Jan 1974 CBS Mystery Theater, premieres on radio
- 07 Jan 1974 Dutch rations gasoline
- 08 Jan 1974 Loch Ness Monster photographed
- 11 Jan 1974 ABC airs final episode of Love, American Style
- 12 Jan 1974 Libya and Tunisia announces they are merging as "Islamic Arab Republic".
- 13 Jan 1974 Super Bowl VIII: Miami Dolphins beat Minnesota Vikings, 24-7 in Houston, Texas; Most Valuable Player: Larry Csonka, running back.
- 14 Jan 1974 World Football League founded.
- 15 Jan 1974 Happy Days begins an 11 year run on ABC
- 16 Jan 1974 Jaws by Peter Benchley is published
- 18 Jan 1974 $6 Million Man starring Lee Majors premieres on ABC TV
- 19 Jan 1974 Notre Dame beats UCLA, ends NCAA-record 88-game basketball win streak.
- 20 Jan 1974 A college basketball game ends 210-67
- 21 Jan 1974 Gold hits record $161.31 / silver hits record $3.97 an ounce in London
- 25 Jan 1974 Christian Barnard transplants 1st human heart without removal of old
- 26 Jan 1974 Bülent Ecevit, of CHP forms the new government of Turkey (37th government, partner MSP )
- 27 Jan 1974 Lorelei opens at Palace Theater NYC for 320 performances
- 28 Jan 1974 Sam Thompson, Jim Bottomley, and Jocko Conlan elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 29 Jan 1974 27th NHL All-Star Game: West beat East 6-4 at Chicago.
- 01 Feb 1974 Good Times (spinoff from Maude) premieres on CBS TV
- 02 Feb 1974 Pope Paul VI encyclical "To Honor Mary".
- 03 Feb 1974 Pajama Game closes at Lunt Fontanne Theater NYC after 65 performances
- 04 Feb 1974 Benzine rationing ends in the Netherlands
- 05 Feb 1974 British mine strike
- 06 Feb 1974 3rd time Rangers shut-out Islanders 6-0
- 07 Feb 1974 Grenada gains independence from Britain (National Day)
- 08 Feb 1974 Good Times, debuts on CBS TV
- 09 Feb 1974 Daddy What If by Bobby Bare peaks at #41
- 10 Feb 1974 Gigi closes at Uris Theater NYC after 103 performances
- 11 Feb 1974 Titan-Centaur test launch fails.
- 12 Feb 1974 Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, winner of the Nobel Prize in literature in 1970, is exiled from the Soviet Union.
- 13 Feb 1974 Rainbow Jones opens and closes at Music Box Theater, New York City
- 17 Feb 1974 Carol Mann wins LPGA Naples Lely Golf Classic.
- 18 Feb 1974 NASA launches Italian satellite San Marcos C-2 (235 / 843 km)
- 19 Feb 1974 1st American Music Award
- 20 Feb 1974 Cher files for separation from husband Sonny Bono
- 21 Feb 1974 Israeli forces leave western Suez.
- 22 Feb 1974 Samuel Byck tries and fails to assassinate U.S. President Richard Nixon.
- 23 Feb 1974 Patty Hearst, Daughter of publisher Randolph Hearst, kidnapped by SLA
- 24 Feb 1974 Atje Keulen-Deelstra becomes world champion all-round skater.
- 25 Feb 1974 Veronica and Colin Scargill (England) begin tandem bicycle ride a record 18,020 miles around the world, completed on August 27, 1975.
- 26 Feb 1974 Gold hits record US$188 an ounce in Paris, France. Silver peaks at US$6.70 per ounce.
- 27 Feb 1974 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 28 Feb 1974 Taiwan police shoots into crowd
- 01 Mar 1974 George Harrison announces his concert tour of US in November
- 02 Mar 1974 1st class postage raised to 10 cents from 8 cents
- 03 Mar 1974 Sextet opens at Bijou Theater NYC for 9 performances
- 04 Mar 1974 People magazine is published for the first time.
- 05 Mar 1974 Candide opens at Broadway Theater NYC for 740 performances
- 06 Mar 1974 Over Here opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 341 performances
- 07 Mar 1974 Monitor (US Civil War Ship) restored at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
- 08 Mar 1974 Charles de Gaulle Airport opens in Paris, France.
- 09 Mar 1974 Last Japanese soldier, a guerrilla operating in Philippines, surrenders, 29 years after World War II ended.
- 10 Mar 1974 Sextet closes at Bijou Theater NYC after 9 performances
- 11 Mar 1974 Mount Etna in Sicily erupts.
- 12 Mar 1974 Bundy victim Donna Manson disappears, Evergreen SC, Olympia, Washington
- 13 Mar 1974 Charles de Gaulle Airport opens near Paris, France.
- 16 Mar 1974 First performance at new Grand Ole Opry House at Opryland in Nashville, Tennessee.
- 17 Mar 1974 Jane Blalock wins LPGA Bing Crosby Golf Classic International.
- 18 Mar 1974 Most Arab oil-producing nations end embargo against US.
- 19 Mar 1974 Jefferson Starship begins their first tour.
- 20 Mar 1974 Ian Ball attempts, but fails, to kidnap Her Royal Highness Princess Anne and her husband Captain Mark Phillips in The Mall, outside Buckingham Palace, London.
- 24 Mar 1974 36th NCAA Men's Basketball Championship: North Carolina State beats Marquette 76-64; this ends UCLA's 7-year reign as NCAA basketball champions.
- 25 Mar 1974 Barbra Streisand records the album Butterfly
- 26 Mar 1974 Romanian communist party names party leader Nicolae Ceausescu President.
- 28 Mar 1974 Rock group Raspberries breakup
- 29 Mar 1974 NASA's Mariner 10 becomes the first spaceprobe to fly by Mercury. It was launched on November 3, 1973.
- 01 Apr 1974 Pioneer Hall opens
- 02 Apr 1974 46th Academy Awards - The Sting, Glenda Jackson and Jack Lemmon win.
- 03 Apr 1974 148 tornadoes are reported over an area covering a dozen states
- 05 Apr 1974 World's tallest building, the World Trade Center opens in New York City (110 stories).
- 06 Apr 1974 200,000 attend rock concert California Jam
- 08 Apr 1974 Discovery Island opens
- 10 Apr 1974 American Boccaccio Association forms
- 11 Apr 1974 WW II war criminal JP Philippa arrested
- 13 Apr 1974 Western Union (in cooperation with NASA and Hughes Aircraft) launches the United States' first commercial geosynchronous communications satellite, Westar 1.
- 14 Apr 1974 38th Golf Masters Championship: Gary Player wins, shooting a 278.
- 15 Apr 1974 78th Boston Marathon won by Neil Cusack of Ireland in 2:13:39.
- 16 Apr 1974 Words & Music opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 127 performances
- 17 Apr 1974 Bundy victim Susan Rancourt disappears from CWU, Ellensburg, Washington
- 18 Apr 1974 Red Brigade kidnaps Italian Attorney General Mario Sossi.
- 19 Apr 1974 Oriole Al Bumbry hits an inside-the-park HR against New York Yankees
- 20 Apr 1974 Paul McCartney releases Band on the Run
- 21 Apr 1974 28th Tony Awards: River Niger and Raisin win.
- 22 Apr 1974 Barbara Walters becomes news co-anchor of Today Show
- 23 Apr 1974 Carl Barnett dies at age 59 of a heart attack while conducting Bach's Come, Sweet Death at the Will Rogers High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- 24 Apr 1974 NFL grants franchise to Tampa Bay (Buccaneers).
- 25 Apr 1974 NFL moves the goal posts and adopts sudden-death playoff.
- 26 Apr 1974 Landslide in Huancavelica Province, Peru creates a natural dam.
- 27 Apr 1974 Pan Am 707 crashes into mountains of Bali, killing 107.
- 28 Apr 1974 Jane Blalock wins LPGA Birmingham Golf Classic.
- 29 Apr 1974 President Nixon said he will release edited tapes made in White House
- 30 Apr 1974 US President Richard Nixon hands over partial transcripts of Watergate tape recordings.
- 02 May 1974 Former VP Spiro Agnew disbarred
- 04 May 1974 100th Kentucky Derby: Angel Cordero Jr aboard Cannonade wins in 2:04.
- 05 May 1974 Sandra Spuzich wins LPGA Lady Tara Golf Classic.
- 06 May 1974 Bundy victim Roberta Parks disappears from OSU, Corvallis, Ore
- 07 May 1974 Pulitzer prize awarded to Robert Lowell (Dolphin).
- 08 May 1974 FC Magdenburg wins 14th Europe Cup II.
- 09 May 1974 House Judiciary Committee begins formal hearings on President Richard Nixon impeachment.
- 10 May 1974 7th ABA championship: New York Nets beats Utah Stars, 4 games to 1.
- 11 May 1974 Bad, Bad Leroy Brown by Frank Sinatra hits #83
- 12 May 1974 28th NBA Championship: Boston Celtics beat Milwaukee Bucks, 4 games to 3.
- 14 May 1974 Symbionese Liberation Army destroyed in shoot-out, six killed.
- 15 May 1974 Walter Scheel succeeds Heinemann as president of Germany.
- 16 May 1974 Helmut Schmidt is elected German Chancellor after Willy Brandt resigns due to the spy in his office. Hans-Dietrich Genscher (FDP) becomes vice chancellor and foreign minister.
- 17 May 1974 Dmitri Shostakovitch completes his 15th String quartet
- 18 May 1974 100th Preakness: Miguel Rivera aboard Current Little wins in 1:54.6.
- 19 May 1974 Joanne Carner Golf Invitational wins LPGA Bluegrass
- 20 May 1974 Soyuz 14 returns to Earth.
- 22 May 1974 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 23 May 1974 Great Britain performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 24 May 1974 Dean Martin Show, last airs on NBC-TV
- 26 May 1974 During a David Cassidy concert in London a 14 year old is trampled
- 28 May 1974 Magic Show opens at Cort Theater NYC for 1859 performances
- 29 May 1974 Northern Ireland is brought under direct rule from Westminster.
- 30 May 1974 NASA's ATS-6 satellite is launched.
- 31 May 1974 Israel and Syria sign an agreement concerning Golan Heights.
- 01 Jun 1974 My Girl Bill by Jim Stafford hits #12
- 02 Jun 1974 Judy Rankin wins LPGA Baltimore Golf Classic
- 03 Jun 1974 Yitzhak Rabin forms a new Israeli government
- 04 Jun 1974 10 cent Beer Night at Cleveland, unruly fans stumble onto field and cause Indians to forfeit the game to Rangers with score tied 5-5 in 9th
- 06 Jun 1974 47th National Spelling Bee: Julie Ann Junkin wins spelling hydrophyte
- 07 Jun 1974 Padres draft Brown University shortstop Bill Almon #1
- 08 Jun 1974 106th Belmont: Miguel Rivera aboard Little Current wins in 2:29.2
- 09 Jun 1974 Joanne Carner wins LPGA Desert Inn Golf Classic
- 10 Jun 1974 Mike Schmidt hits a ball off public address speaker on Astrodome roof
- 11 Jun 1974 Bundy victim Georgann Hawkins disappears from UW, Seattle, Washington
- 13 Jun 1974 Henry Aaron addresses House of Representatives
- 15 Jun 1974 Streak by Ray Stevens hit #1 on UK pop chart
- 16 Jun 1974 74th US Golf Open: Hale Irwin shoots a 287 at Winged Foot Golf Club - New York
- 18 Jun 1974 Gaston Thorn forms Luxembourg government
- 19 Jun 1974 Yemen Arab Republic (North Yemen) suspends constitution
- 21 Jun 1974 Francine Irving Neff begins term as 35th Treasurer of the US.
- 23 Jun 1974 1st extraterrestrial message sent from Earth into space
- 24 Jun 1974 Steve Busby retires 1st 9 White Sox to set AL record with 33 consecutive batters retired
- 26 Jun 1974 The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley's chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
- 27 Jun 1974 Flip Wilson Show, last airs on NBC-TV
- 28 Jun 1974 Fall of earth and rocks kill 200 (Quebrada Blanca Canyon, Colombia)
- 29 Jun 1974 Military coup in Ethiopia
- 30 Jun 1974 2nd du Maurier Golf Classic (Peter Jackson Classic): Carole Jo Skala
- 01 Jul 1974 1st Laura Ashley-store in US opens (San Francisco)
- 02 Jul 1974 Fernando Mameda of Portugal sets record for 10,000 m (27:13.81)
- 03 Jul 1974 Pitching in major league-record 13th consecutive game for Dodgers
- 04 Jul 1974 Mike Marshall goes 9-0 with 3 saves in 20 appearances in 30 days
- 05 Jul 1974 81st Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Chris Evert beats Olga Morzova (60 64)
- 06 Jul 1974 88th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Jimmy Connors beats K Rosewall (61 61 64)
- 07 Jul 1974 Brewer Don Money sets record of consecutive errorless games at 3rd (78)
- 10 Jul 1974 OPEC ends oil boycott against Netherlands
- 11 Jul 1974 US House Judiciary Committee releases evidence on Watergate inquiry.
- 13 Jul 1974 103rd British Golf Open: Gary Player shoots a 282 at Royal Lytham
- 14 Jul 1974 Billy Martin is 1st AL manager ejected by ump from 2 games in 1 day
- 15 Jul 1974 Military coup on Cyprus: Archbishop / President Makarios flees
- 17 Jul 1974 Bob Gibson becomes 2nd pitcher to strike-out 3,000 (Cesar Geronimo)
- 19 Jul 1974 Soyuz 14 lands
- 20 Jul 1974 Heng Yo and Heng Ju, completes 1,000 mile (SF-Seattle) pilgrimage
- 21 Jul 1974 Eddy Merckx wins his 5th Tour de France
- 23 Jul 1974 45th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 7-2 at 3 Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh
- 24 Jul 1974 Supreme Court unanimously rules Nixon must turn over Watergate tapes
- 26 Jul 1974 Greek Prime Minister Constantinos Karamanlis forms the country's first civil government after seven years of military rule.
- 27 Jul 1974 Kanhai and Jameson add 465 for 2nd wicket, Warwickshire vs. Gloucs
- 28 Jul 1974 Carole Jo Skala wins LPGA Wheeling Ladies Golf Classic
- 29 Jul 1974 Episcopal Church ordained female priests
- 30 Jul 1974 House Judiciary Committee votes on 3rd and last charge of high crimes and misdemeanors to impeach President Nixon in the Watergate cover-up
- 31 Jul 1974 Congress passes legislation giving the president authority to legalize private ownership of gold.
- 01 Aug 1974 Virginia Squires trade Julius "Dr J" Erving to the New York Nets.
- 03 Aug 1974 Little Night Music closes at Shubert Theater NYC after 601 performances
- 04 Aug 1974 Sandra Haynie wins LPGA George Washington Golf Classic
- 05 Aug 1974 Joan Jett forms her rock group Runaways
- 06 Aug 1974 Explosion and fire destory Great Northern railroad yard in Wenatchee, Washington.
- 07 Aug 1974 Actress Faye Dunaway weds Peter Wolf of J Geils Band
- 08 Aug 1974 President Richard M Nixon announces he will resign his office 12PM August 9.
- 09 Aug 1974 US President Richard Nixon resigns presidency, Vice President Gerald Ford becomes 38th president.
- 10 Aug 1974 Judy Rankin wins LPGA Colgate-European American Golf Open
- 11 Aug 1974 56th PGA Championship: Lee Trevino shoots a 276 at Tanglewood, North Carolina
- 12 Aug 1974 Nolan Ryan strikes out 19 and walks only 2 as Angels top Red Sox, 4-2
- 14 Aug 1974 Congress authorizes US citizens to own gold
- 15 Aug 1974 Hurricane / floods ravage Bangladesh, 4,000 killed
- 18 Aug 1974 Joanne Carner wins LPGA St. Paul Keller Golf Open
- 20 Aug 1974 Brooklyn pitcher Dan Bankhead is 1st black to homer in his 1st at bat
- 23 Aug 1974 John Lennon reports seeing a UFO in New York City
- 24 Aug 1974 Sandra Haynie wins LPGA National Jewish Hospital Golf Open
- 26 Aug 1974 Guinee-Bissau becomes independent of Portugal
- 27 Aug 1974 New York Mets' Benny Ayala hits a home run in his first at bat.
- 28 Aug 1974 Soyuz 15 returns to Earth.
- 29 Aug 1974 USSR performs underground nuclear test at Novaya Zemlya USSR
- 30 Aug 1974 Launching of 1st Dutch satellite, ANS, from Vandenberg
- 31 Aug 1974 Pirate Radio Veronica moves into Scheveningen harbor
- 01 Sep 1974 Dutch law against pirate radio goes into effect
- 02 Sep 1974 Prest Gerald Ford signs Employee Retirement Income Security Act
- 03 Sep 1974 Giants John Montefusco makes his major league debut
- 04 Sep 1974 Emmy News and Documentaries Award presentation
- 07 Sep 1974 Irene closes at Minskoff Theater NYC after 605 performances
- 08 Sep 1974 88th US Womens Tennis: Billie J King beats Evonne Goolagong (36 63 75)
- 09 Sep 1974 88th US Womens Tennis: B J M King beats E Goolagong Cawley (36 63 75)
- 10 Sep 1974 New York Dolls disband
- 11 Sep 1974 Eastern Air Lines Flight 212 crashes in Charlotte, North Carolina, killing 69 passengers and two crew.
- 12 Sep 1974 Coup overthrows Emperor Haile Selassie in Ethiopia (National Day)
- 13 Sep 1974 1st broadcast of Rockford Files on NBC-TV
- 14 Sep 1974 Charles Kowal discovers Leda, 13th satellite of Jupiter.
- 15 Sep 1974 Market Square Arena in Indianapolis opens
- 16 Sep 1974 BART begins regular transbay service
- 17 Sep 1974 Bangladesh, Grenada and Guinea-Bissau join the United Nations.
- 18 Sep 1974 Hurricane Fifi strikes Honduras with 110 mph winds, killing 5,000 people.
- 21 Sep 1974 US Mariner 10 makes 2nd fly-by of Mercury
- 23 Sep 1974 Gypsy opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 120 performances
- 24 Sep 1974 Al Kaline, Detroit Tiger, is 12th to get 3,000 hits
- 28 Sep 1974 Live It Up Part 1 by Isley Brothers peaks at #52
- 29 Sep 1974 5th NYC Marathon won by Norbert Sander in 2:26:30
- 01 Oct 1974 Watergate cover-up trial opens in Washington DC
- 03 Oct 1974 Pele retires as soccer player
- 04 Oct 1974 John Lennon releases Walls & Bridges album
- 05 Oct 1974 Guildford pub bombings: bombs planted by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) kill four British soldiers and one civilian.
- 06 Oct 1974 Mack & Mabel, opens at Majestic Theater NYC for 66 performances
- 07 Oct 1974 German DR amends constitution
- 08 Oct 1974 Franklin National Bank collapses due to fraud and mismanagement; at the time it is the largest bank failure in the history of the United States.
- 09 Oct 1974 Frank Robinson became 1st Black baseball manager (Cleveland Indians)
- 10 Oct 1974 Canadian John Hathaway begins two-year ride of 50,600 miles.
- 11 Oct 1974 The UK Labour government of Harold Wilson wins the second general election of the year, forming a three-seat majority. Wilson, who has led the party for a total of 11 years, has now won four of the five general elections he has contested.
- 14 Oct 1974 8th Country Music Association Award: Charlie Rich
- 15 Oct 1974 Nobel prize for chemistry awarded to Paul J Flory (macro molecules)
- 17 Oct 1974 NBA New Orleans Jazz begin a 28 game road losing streak
- 18 Oct 1974 1st NBA game at Market Square Arena - Pacers beat Spurs 129-121
- 19 Oct 1974 Detroit Pistons beat Trailblazers in Portland (next win 6-1-90)
- 20 Oct 1974 1st broadcast of Derrick on ZDF
- 21 Oct 1974 1st Islander shut-out opponent-Billy Smith 5-0 vs. Caps
- 22 Oct 1974 Yanks trade Bobby Murcer to Giants for Bobby Bonds
- 24 Oct 1974 Billy Martin named American League Manager of the Year (Texas Rangers).
- 25 Oct 1974 Air Force fires 1st ICBM
- 27 Oct 1974 Chantal Langlace runs female world record marathon (2:46:24)
- 28 Oct 1974 Luna 23 launched (landing on Moon)
- 29 Oct 1974 Law bans discrimination of sex or marital status in credit application
- 30 Oct 1974 California Angel Nolan Ryan throws fastest recorded pitch (100.9 mph)
- 31 Oct 1974 Marines terminate gijzelingsactie in strafgevangenis Scheveningen
- 01 Nov 1974 UN affirms independence of Cyprus
- 02 Nov 1974 Art Modell gets snowed in and misses his 1st Cleveland Brown game in 33 yrs
- 03 Nov 1974 Lorelei closes at Palace Theater NYC after 320 performances
- 05 Nov 1974 Dmitri Sjotakovitch completes Michelangelo-liederen
- 06 Nov 1974 Dodger Mike Marshall is 1st relief pitcher to win Cy Young Award
- 07 Nov 1974 63rd Davis Cup: South Africa beats India in (w / o)
- 08 Nov 1974 British Lord Lucan disappears
- 10 Nov 1974 2nd meeting of Giants-Jets, Jets even series at 1 with 26-20 OT win
- 12 Nov 1974 South Africa suspended from UN General Assembly over racial policies
- 13 Nov 1974 Dodgers Steve Garvey wins NL MVP
- 15 Nov 1974 Ringo releases Goodnight Vienna andOnly You in the UK
- 16 Nov 1974 Milwaukee Bucks lose their 11th straight NBA game (team record).
- 17 Nov 1974 Bonnie Bryant wins Bill Branch LPGA Golf Classic
- 20 Nov 1974 The US files antitrust suit to break-up AT&T
- 21 Nov 1974 In Birmingham, England, 2 pubs are bombed, killing 21 people (the Birmingham Six are later sentenced to life in prison for this).
- 22 Nov 1974 Lake Buena Vista Club opens
- 23 Nov 1974 60 Ethiopia government officials executed
- 24 Nov 1974 2 truck hijackers freed (3 / 3 / 1974)
- 25 Nov 1974 Irish Republican Army is outlawed in Britain following deaths of 21
- 26 Nov 1974 Catfish Hunter and Charlie Finley meet in arbitration
- 27 Nov 1974 Cardinals outfielder Bake McBride wins NL Rookie of Year
- 28 Nov 1974 Bowie Kuhn suspends George Steinbrenner for 2 years
- 30 Nov 1974 Good Evening closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 438 performances
- 01 Dec 1974 LA Skid Row slasher kills 1st of 8
- 02 Dec 1974 Cowhide, rather than just horsehide, can be used to make baseballs
- 04 Dec 1974 Dutch DC-8 charter crashes in Sri Lanka killing 191 Muslim pilgrims.
- 05 Dec 1974 1st Washington Capitals penalty shot, Tom Williams unsuccessful vs. Buff Sabres
- 06 Dec 1974 George Harrison releases Ding Dong, Ding Dong
- 08 Dec 1974 Sandra Post wins LPGA Colgate Far East Golf Open.
- 09 Dec 1974 Dow Jones index hits 570.01
- 10 Dec 1974 Space probe Helios 1 launched
- 13 Dec 1974 Malta becomes a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations
- 16 Dec 1974 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 17 Dec 1974 WIPO becomes a specialized agency of the United Nations.
- 18 Dec 1974 San Francisco Visitors Center at City Hall opens
- 19 Dec 1974 Man With Golden Gun premieres in US
- 20 Dec 1974 George Harrison releases his Dark Horse album in the UK
- 22 Dec 1974 2nd cease-fire between IRA and British; lasts until approximately April 1975
- 23 Dec 1974 Good News opens at St. James Theater NYC for 16 performances
- 24 Dec 1974 Cyclone Tracy devastates Darwin, Australia.
- 25 Dec 1974 Cyclone Tracy devastates Darwin, Northern Territory Australia.
- 26 Dec 1974 Washington Capitals 1st NHL sellout
- 27 Dec 1974 Dear Abby show ends run on CBS radio after 11 years
- 28 Dec 1974 6.3 earthquake strikes Pakistan: 5200 killed
- 30 Dec 1974 Japanese soldier Teruo Nakamura surrenders on the Indonesian island of Morota, 34 years after beginning service in World War II
- 31 Dec 1974 New York Yankees sign Jim Catfish Hunter to 5 yrs for record $3.75 million