Sunday 17 August 1980
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Keith Dabengwa and Tootsie Guevara.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Magic by Olivia Newton-John.
In UK The Winner Takes It All by Abba was in the top 5 hits.
Smokey and the Bandit II, directed by Hal Needham, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Rage Of Angels by Sidney Sheldon was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Astro Invader or Stratovox.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1980!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1980 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Keith Dabengwa: Zimbabwean cricketer.
- Tootsie Guevara: Filipino singer-songwriter and actress.
- Daniel Güiza: Spanish footballer.
- Jan Kromkamp: Dutch footballer.
- Lene Marlin: Norwegian singer-songwriter.
- Van Tuong Nguyen : Thai-Australian drug trafficker (d. 2005)
- Blackstone closes at Majestic Theater NYC after 104 performances
- Beth Daniel wins LPGA Patty Berg Golf Classic
- George Brett goes 4-for-4, raising his batting average to .401
- Azaria Chamberlain disappears, probably taken by a dingo, leading to what was then the most publicised trial in Australian history.
- In Australia, baby Azaria Chamberlain disappears from a campsite at Ayers Rock (Uluru), reportedly taken by a dingo.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 August 1980
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Olivia Newton-John - Magic
- Christopher Cross - Sailing
- The S.O.S. Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right) Part 1
- The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue
- Diana Ross - Upside Down
- Billy Joel - It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
- The Manhattans - Shining Star
- Elton John - Little Jeannie
- Pete Townshend - Let My Love Open The Door
- Kim Carnes - More Love
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?