Leonardo Da Vinci’s notebook sold for over $5 million in 1980. In this year that saw the rise of heavy metal. The publishing of the first UK Indie chart was in 1980 as well. Bon Scott the lead singer of the heavy metal band AC/DC died in London. ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ became the highest grossing film of the year at the box office.
It was a tough year for two of ex-Beatles members, John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Paul McCartney who with his band Wings returned to Japan since 1966 the last time the Beatles were there. Possession of narcotics led to his arrest at the airport. His incarceration ended on January 25. On December 8, the world was shocked to hear that John Lennon was dead. Mark David Chapman shot the iconic Beatles singer twice in the back just outside his New York apartment. Thousands of people held vigils in New York’s Central Park and other cities in the world to mourn his death.
On June 1, Time Warner Company launched CNN, the world’s first ever 24-hour international news television channel. At 6 p.m. EST, CNN began its broadcast with a story about the assassination attempt of Vernon Jordan a civil rights leader and activist, from their headquarters in Atlanta Georgia. Today, CNN is accessible to more than 160 million households and business across the world.
In 1980, the cold war was creating tension across the world, and the two main sides were the USA and Russia. Coincidentally, Moscow was the host of the 1980 Olympics. Due to the supremacy wars between the two countries, the then USA President, Jimmy Carter announced that USA athletes would not participate in the 1980 Olympics. This declaration was after Russia refused to honor Jimmy Carter's order for them to withdraw their forces from Afghanistan.
The year 1980 marked the beginning of an era of fashion freedoms and it saw the rise of designer’s clothes with vivid and bright colors. Also, the year set off the phenomenon of hippies.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 53rd edition of the Oscar ceremony
Robert De Niro
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1980?
Which were the most popular books released in 1980 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1980
- Adolfo Pérez Esquivel
- Czesław Miłosz
- James Cronin
- Val Logsdon Fitch
- Lawrence Klein
- Paul Berg
- Walter Gilbert
- Frederick Sanger
Physiology or Medicine
- Baruj Benacerraf
- Jean Dausset
- George Davis Snell
Which were the top hits of 1980?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
- Diana Ross - Upside Down
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
- Blondie - Call Me
- Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
- Paul McCartney - Coming Up
- Barbra Streisand - Woman In Love
- Paul McCartney - Coming Up (Live At Glasgow)
- Elton John - Little Jeannie
- Billy Joel - It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Abba - Super Trouper
- Don McLean - Crying
- David Bowie - Ashes To Ashes
- Hot Chocolate - No Doubt About It
- The Jam - Going Underground / Dreams Of Children
- Odyssey - Use It Up And Wear It Out
- Madness - My Girl
- Dexy's Midnight Runners - Geno
- Barbra Streisand - Woman In Love
- The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1980
- Total population: 4.5 billion (4,458,003,514 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.7 billion, that is 39.0% of the total population of 1980 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +77.5 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.77%
- Average density: 30.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1980?
- 01 Jan 1980 International Decade of Water & Sanitation begins
- 02 Jan 1980 US President Jimmy Carter asks the Senate to postpone action on the SALT II nuclear weapons treaty and recalls the U.S. ambassador to Moscow.
- 03 Jan 1980 Gold hits record US$634 an ounce.
- 04 Jan 1980 President Carter announces US boycott of Moscow Olympics
- 06 Jan 1980 Global Positioning System time epoch begins at 00:00 UTC.
- 07 Jan 1980 U.S. President Jimmy Carter signs legislation approving $1.5 billion in loan guarantees to bail out the Chrysler Corporation.
- 09 Jan 1980 63 beheaded in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
- 10 Jan 1980 Last broadcast of Rockford Files on NBC
- 11 Jan 1980 Debut of Pretenders
- 12 Jan 1980 Mike Bratz (Phoenix) begins NBA free throw streak of 57 games
- 13 Jan 1980 King of Schnorrers closes at Playhouse Theater NYC after 63 performances
- 14 Jan 1980 Blues Brothers movie with Dan Akwoyd and John Belushi opens
- 16 Jan 1980 Paul McCartney jailed in Tokyo for 10 days on marijuana possession
- 17 Jan 1980 NASA launches Fltsatcom-3.
- 18 Jan 1980 Gold reaches $1,000 an oz
- 20 Jan 1980 President Jimmy Carter announces US boycott of Olympics in Moscow
- 21 Jan 1980 Gold hits record $850 an ounce
- 22 Jan 1980 Dissidents Andrei Sacharov and Jelena Bonner banished to Gorki
- 24 Jan 1980 The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific railroad is ordered to be liquidated due to bankruptcy.
- 25 Jan 1980 Paul McCartney is released from Tokyo jail and deported
- 26 Jan 1980 175,000 pay to hear Frank Sinatra sing in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 27 Jan 1980 Near Livermore, California, a magnitude 5.8 earthquake occurs.
- 28 Jan 1980 37th Golden Globes: Dustin Hoffman and Sally Field win.
- 29 Jan 1980 6 Iranian held US hostages escape with help of Canadians
- 31 Jan 1980 Police storm occupied Spanish embassy in Guatemala City, killing 41.
- 01 Feb 1980 Sears Radio Theater moves from CBS to Mutual Broadcasting System
- 02 Feb 1980 (to February 3) New Mexico State Penitentiary inmates riot; 33 are killed and more than 100 injured.
- 03 Feb 1980 Muhammed Ali tours Africa as US President Jimmy Carter's envoy.
- 04 Feb 1980 Bani Sadr sworn in as Premier of Iran
- 05 Feb 1980 32nd NHL All-Star Game: Wales beat Campbell 6-3 at Detroit.
- 09 Feb 1980 Rick Barry, Houston Rockets, is first in NBA to score eight 3-point goals in a game.
- 10 Feb 1980 Jane Blalock wins LPGA Elizabeth Arden Golf Classic.
- 12 Feb 1980 Canterbury Tales opens at Rialto Theater NYC for 16 performances
- 13 Feb 1980 Apollo Computer is incorporated.
- 14 Feb 1980 West Side Story opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 341 performances
- 15 Feb 1980 Eric Heiden skates Olympics record 500 metre in 38.03 seconds.
- 16 Feb 1980 Continuous traffic jam extends 176 km north of Lyons, France.
- 17 Feb 1980 Buddy Baker wins Daytona 500 (177.6 mph / 285.8 km/h)
- 18 Feb 1980 Billy Wyman said he will leave Rolling Stones in 1983 (Sure!)
- 19 Feb 1980 Eric Heiden skates Olympics record 1000 metre in 1:15.18.
- 20 Feb 1980 Actress Susan Dey (LA Law) weds producer Bernard Sofronski
- 21 Feb 1980 Eric Heiden skates Olympics record 1500 metre in 1:55.44.
- 22 Feb 1980 USA beats USSR in Olympic hockey 4-3 en route to a gold medal
- 23 Feb 1980 13th Winter Olympic games close at Lake Placid, New York
- 24 Feb 1980 Canterbury Tales closes at Rialto Theater NYC after 16 performances
- 25 Feb 1980 Coup ousts Prime Minister Henck Arron of Suriname
- 26 Feb 1980 Military coup under Desi Bouterse in Suriname
- 27 Feb 1980 Israel and Egypt exchange ambassadors
- 28 Feb 1980 The Well-Tuned Piano by La Monte Young premieres (takes 4 h 12 m)
- 29 Feb 1980 Michael Bracey ends 59 hours 55 minutes trapped in an elevator, England.
- 01 Mar 1980 CTUC, Commonwealth Trade Union Council, established
- 02 Mar 1980 3rd Islander scoreless tie - Penguins in Pittsburgh
- 03 Mar 1980 The USS Nautilus is decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register.
- 04 Mar 1980 40th hat trick in New York Islanders' history-Mike Bossy.
- 05 Mar 1980 Earth satellites record gamma rays from remnants of supernova N-49.
- 06 Mar 1980 Emmy 7th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 1st time
- 08 Mar 1980 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 09 Mar 1980 Flemish / Walloon battles in Belgium, 40 injured
- 10 Mar 1980 Willard Scott becomes the weather forcaster on the Today Show
- 12 Mar 1980 Jury finds John Wayne Gacy guilty of murdering 33 in Chicago, Illinois.
- 13 Mar 1980 Eric Heiden skates world record 1000 metre (1:13.60).
- 14 Mar 1980 3rd Emmy Sports Award presentation
- 16 Mar 1980 Joanne Carner wins LPGA Honda Civic Golf Classic.
- 18 Mar 1980 Vostok rocket exploded on launch pad while being refueled, killing 50
- 20 Mar 1980 US appeals to International Court on hostages in Iran.
- 21 Mar 1980 On TV show Dallas, J.R. is shot
- 22 Mar 1980 The Georgia Guidestones are erected in Elbert County, Georgia.
- 23 Mar 1980 Shah of Iran arrives in Egypt
- 24 Mar 1980 Capitol Records releases some rare Beatles tracks
- 26 Mar 1980 A mine lift cage at the Vaal Reef gold mine in South Africa falls 1.2 miles (1.9 kilometers), killing 23.
- 27 Mar 1980 Happy New Year opens at Morosco Theater NYC for 17 performances
- 31 Mar 1980 Jesse Owens, American athlete (Olympics-gold-1936), dies in Tucson, Arizona at age 66 (born 1913).
- 01 Apr 1980 New York City's Transport Works Union Local 100 goes on strike, which continues for 11 days.
- 02 Apr 1980 Wayne Gretzky becomes first teenager to score 50 goals in an NHL season.
- 03 Apr 1980 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 06 Apr 1980 Post It Notes are introduced.
- 07 Apr 1980 Jimmy Carter breaks relations with Iran during hostage crisis
- 09 Apr 1980 Kings tie NHL rec with 2 shorthanded playoff goals in a pd vs. Isles
- 10 Apr 1980 Samuel Kanyon Doe takes over Liberia in a ''coup d'état'', ending over 130 years of democratic presidential succession in that country.
- 11 Apr 1980 Paul McCartney releases Coming Up
- 12 Apr 1980 BCMA, Black Consciousness Movement of Azania, forms
- 13 Apr 1980 Grease closes at Broadhurst Theater in New York City after 3,388 performances.
- 14 Apr 1980 1st Cubans of the Mariel boatlift sail to Florida
- 15 Apr 1980 Libya and Syria recognize the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR).
- 16 Apr 1980 Delhi beats Bombay by 240 runs to win Ranji Trophy final.
- 18 Apr 1980 Zimbabwe (formerly Southern Rhodesia) declares independence from United Kingdom. Robert Mugabe becomes Prime Minister.
- 20 Apr 1980 Cubans begin to arrive in US from Mariel boatlift
- 21 Apr 1980 Howard Stern begins broadcasting on WWWW Detroit, Michigan
- 22 Apr 1980 Jane Froman, singer (Jane Froman's USA Canteen), dies at age 72.
- 23 Apr 1980 Soviet submarine catches fire off Japan, nine die.
- 24 Apr 1980 US military operation to save 52 hostages in Iran, fails, 8 die
- 25 Apr 1980 Firestone World Bowling Tournament of Champions won by Wayne Webb.
- 26 Apr 1980 Iran begins scattering US hostages from the US Embassy.
- 27 Apr 1980 Barbara Barrow wins LPGA Birmingham Golf Classic.
- 28 Apr 1980 Reunion Arena in Dallas opens
- 30 Apr 1980 Barnum opens at St. James Theater NYC for 854 performances
- 01 May 1980 Day in Hollywood, A Night... opens at John Golden NYC for 588 performances
- 02 May 1980 Joseph Doherty and three other Irish Republican Army men arrested for murder.
- 03 May 1980 Giants 1st baseman Willie McCovey hits his 521st and final HR
- 04 May 1980 Dodgers bat out of order against Phillies in 1st inning
- 05 May 1980 Siege at Iranian Embassy in London ends; British commandos and police stormed the building.
- 07 May 1980 Josip Tito, Yugoslav President, buried
- 08 May 1980 World Health Organization announces smallpox has been eradicated.
- 09 May 1980 35 motorists die as a Liberian freighter rams a Tampa Bay Bridge
- 10 May 1980 Happy New Year closes at Morosco Theater NYC after 17 performances
- 11 May 1980 Pam Higgins wins LPGA Lady Michelob Golf Tournament.
- 12 May 1980 1st nonstop crossing of US via balloon (Maxie Anderson & son Chris)
- 13 May 1980 Cincinnati Reds' Ray Knight hits two homeruns in 5th inning versus New York Mets.
- 14 May 1980 Musical Chairs opens at Rialto Theater NYC for 15 performances
- 15 May 1980 1st trans-US balloon crossing
- 16 May 1980 Brian May of rock group Queen collapses on stage with hepatitis
- 17 May 1980 Kumar Anandan balanced on one foot for 33 hours
- 18 May 1980 China PR launch 1st intercontinental rocket
- 19 May 1980 Blackstone opens at Majestic Theater NYC for 104 performances
- 20 May 1980 Drummer Peter Criss quits Kiss
- 21 May 1980 Empire Strikes Back premieres
- 22 May 1980 Marlo Thomas and Phil Donahue marry.
- 23 May 1980 ABC Masters Bowling Tournament won by Neil Burton.
- 24 May 1980 Iran rejects a call to World Court to release US hostages
- 25 May 1980 Musical Chairs closes at Rialto Theater NYC after 15 performances
- 26 May 1980 Phillie Steve Carlton is 1st NLer to record 6, 1-hitters
- 27 May 1980 The Gwangju Massacre: Airborne and army troops of South Korea retake the city of Gwangju from civil militias, killing at least 207 and possibly many more.
- 28 May 1980 Nottingham Forrest wins 25th Europe Cup 1 in Madrid, Spain.
- 29 May 1980 Billy Bishop Goes to War opens at Morosco Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 31 May 1980 Love Stinks by J Geils Band peaks at #38
- 01 Jun 1980 1st transmission of CNN, Cable News Network
- 03 Jun 1980 Jimmy Carter wins enough delegates for renomination
- 05 Jun 1980 Soyuz T-2 carries two cosmonauts to Salyut 6 space station.
- 07 Jun 1980 Billy Bishop Goes to War closes at Morosco NYC after 12 performances
- 08 Jun 1980 26th LPGA Championship won by Sally Little
- 09 Jun 1980 14th Music City News Country Awards: Statler Brothers and Loretta Lynn
- 10 Jun 1980 A Unabomber bomb injures United Airlines president Percy Wood in Lake Forest, Illinois.
- 11 Jun 1980 K-Ingleside streetcar converts to METRO service (San Francisco)
- 12 Jun 1980 Reagan said he would submit to periodic medical tests
- 13 Jun 1980 Deborah Harry / Meat Loaf film, Roadie, premieres
- 14 Jun 1980 Theme From NY, New York by Frank Sinatra hits #32
- 15 Jun 1980 Fearless Frank opens at Princess Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 16 Jun 1980 Blues Brothers, premieres in Chicago
- 17 Jun 1980 Led Zeppelin begins their last European tour
- 18 Jun 1980 Blues Brothers with Dan Akwoyd and John Belushi premieres
- 19 Jun 1980 Battle between police and demonstrators in Cape Town, 34 killed
- 20 Jun 1980 California Angels Freddie Patek, hits 3 HRs and double to beat Red Sox 20-2
- 22 Jun 1980 Jim King begins riding Miracle Strip Roller coaster 368 hours
- 23 Jun 1980 David Letterman Show, debuts on NBC-TV daytime
- 24 Jun 1980 Affirmed wins $500,000 Hollywood Cup, first horse to win $2 million.
- 25 Jun 1980 Fearless Frank closes at Princess Theater NYC after 12 performances
- 26 Jun 1980 Aerolinee Itavia Flight 870 crashes into the sea near Palermo after an explosion occurs in the air 81 people die. A bomb or a missile is suspected to be the cause of the accident but no culprits are ever found.
- 27 Jun 1980 1st female state police graduates (NJ)
- 28 Jun 1980 New York City transit fare rises from 50 cents to 60 cents
- 29 Jun 1980 Sweeney Todd closes at Uris Theater NYC after 557 performances
- 30 Jun 1980 West German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt visits Moscow
- 01 Jul 1980 Steve Overt runs world record 3:48.8 mile in Oslo, Norway.
- 03 Jul 1980 1st US Seniors Golf Open: Roberto deVicenzo
- 04 Jul 1980 Nolan Ryan strikes out Ceasar Geronimo to record his 3000th career strike out.
- 05 Jul 1980 87th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Evonne Goolagong beats C Evert (61 76)
- 06 Jul 1980 Amy Alcott wins LPGA Mayflower Golf Classic
- 07 Jul 1980 Jineane Ford, (AZ) replaces S Weatherly (Miss Universe) as 29th Miss USA
- 08 Jul 1980 51st All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 4-2 at Dodger Stadium, LA
- 09 Jul 1980 7 die in a stampede to see Pope in Brazil
- 10 Jul 1980 Alexandra Palace burns down for a second time.
- 11 Jul 1980 American hostage Richard I Queen freed by Iran
- 15 Jul 1980 A severe and destructive thunderstorm strikes four counties in western Wisconsin, including the city of Eau Claire. It causes over US$250 million in damage, and one person is killed.
- 16 Jul 1980 Polish railway workers block railway to Russia
- 17 Jul 1980 Bolivian military coup; general Garcia Meza becomes President
- 18 Jul 1980 Failed attack on Iran ex-premier Bakhtiar in Neuilly France
- 19 Jul 1980 22nd modern Olympic games opens in Moscow; US and others boycott
- 20 Jul 1980 109th British Golf Open: Tom Watson shoots a 271 at Muirfield Gullane
- 21 Jul 1980 Jean-Claude Droyer climbs the Eiffel Tower in 2 hours 18 minutes.
- 23 Jul 1980 Billy Carter admits to being paid by Libya
- 24 Jul 1980 The Quietly Confident Quartet of Australia wins the Men's 4 x 100 metre medley relay at the Moscow Olympics, the only time the United States has not won the event at Olympic level.
- 25 Jul 1980 Train crash at Winsum, 9 die
- 27 Jul 1980 Palestinian throws hand grenade on Jewish children in Antwerp, 1 dead
- 30 Jul 1980 Houston Astro pitcher J R Richard suffers a stroke
- 31 Jul 1980 John Phillips of Mamas and Papas is arrested on drug charges
- 01 Aug 1980 Waldemar Cierpinski wins 19th olympics marathon (2:11:03
- 02 Aug 1980 Fascist bomb attack on Bologna Italy train station, 86 killed
- 03 Aug 1980 22nd Olympic games close at Moscow, USSR
- 04 Aug 1980 John andYoko begin recording Double Fantasy
- 05 Aug 1980 Expos Dick Williams wins his 1,000th career game as a manager
- 07 Aug 1980 Hurricane Allen ravages Caribisch area, about 70 killed
- 08 Aug 1980 LBV Conference Center and Club Lake Villas open
- 09 Aug 1980 Belgian constitution revised
- 10 Aug 1980 62nd PGA Championship: Jack Nicklaus shoots a 274 at Oak Hill, New York
- 11 Aug 1980 Angola revises its constitution
- 13 Aug 1980 Suriname President Johan Ferrier ousted
- 14 Aug 1980 17,000 workers strike in Gdansk, Poland
- 16 Aug 1980 Bill Ward quits Black Sabbath
- 17 Aug 1980 Blackstone closes at Majestic Theater NYC after 104 performances
- 19 Aug 1980 George Brett ends hitting streak at 30
- 20 Aug 1980 Mt Everest climbed by Italian Reinhold Messner, alone
- 21 Aug 1980 Linda Ronstadt opens in Pirates of Penzance on Broadway
- 22 Aug 1980 Bill Veeck agrees to sell Chicago White Sox to Eddie DeBartolo Sr for $20,000,000, AL owners block the sale
- 24 Aug 1980 Beth Daniel wins Columbia Savings LPGA Golf Classic
- 25 Aug 1980 42nd Street opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 3486 performances
- 26 Aug 1980 Pete Comita replaces Tom Peterson as bassist of Cheap Trick
- 27 Aug 1980 Chon Doo Hwan elected President of South Korea
- 31 Aug 1980 Oklahoma! closes at Palace Theater NYC after 301 performances
- 01 Sep 1980 Dutch embassy in Israel moves from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv
- 04 Sep 1980 Yes performs its last concert (Madison Square Garden)
- 05 Sep 1980 Poland party leader Edward Gierek resigns
- 06 Sep 1980 94th US Womens Tennis: Chris E L Mills beats H Mandlikova (57 61 61)
- 07 Sep 1980 32nd Emmy Awards: Taxi, Lou Grant, Ed Asner and Barbara Bel Geddes
- 08 Sep 1980 Bowie Kuhn suspends Ferguson Jenkins indefinitely due to drug arrest
- 10 Sep 1980 Expos Bill Gullickson, sets rookie record of striking out 18
- 11 Sep 1980 Chile adopts its constitution
- 12 Sep 1980 Military coup under General Kenan Evren in Turkey
- 13 Sep 1980 1st United Negro College Fund
- 14 Sep 1980 Charlie & Algernon opens at Helen Hayes Theater NYC for 17 performances
- 15 Sep 1980 Paul McCartney releases Temporary Secretary
- 16 Sep 1980 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines join the United Nations.
- 17 Sep 1980 Divine Madness starring Bette Midler, premieres
- 18 Sep 1980 Les Miserables, opens at Palais des Sports, Paris
- 19 Sep 1980 Titan II missile explosion (Damascus, Arkansas).
- 20 Sep 1980 Bronze plaque dedicated to memory of Thurman Munson at Yankee Stadium
- 21 Sep 1980 Donna Caponi Young wins LPGA ERA Real Estate Golf Classic
- 22 Sep 1980 Iraq invades Iran in an attempt to control the Shatt al-Arab waterway
- 23 Sep 1980 Big Thunder Mountain Railroad opens
- 24 Sep 1980 Braves join every NL team with 1,000,000+ attendance for this season
- 25 Sep 1980 Chevy Chase calls Cary Grant a homo on Tomorrow show (suit follows)
- 26 Sep 1980 Bomb attack on Octoberfest in Munich, 12 killed
- 27 Sep 1980 WHOT (Brooklyn New York pirate radio station) begins on 1620 AM and 92.5 FM
- 28 Sep 1980 Charlie & Algernon closes at Helen Hayes Theater NYC after 17 performances
- 29 Sep 1980 Malcolm McDowell wed Mary Steenburgen
- 30 Sep 1980 Digital Equipment Corporation, Intel and Xerox introduce the DIX standard for Ethernet, which is the first implementation outside of Xerox, and the first to support 10 Mbit/s speeds.
- 01 Oct 1980 Cosmonauts Ryumin and Popov break space endurance record of 176 days.
- 02 Oct 1980 Larry Holmes retains WBC heavweight title defeating Muhammad Ali.
- 03 Oct 1980 4 dies in attack on synagogue in Paris
- 05 Oct 1980 Formal opening of meditation hall of Zenshin Temple in Riverdale Bronx
- 06 Oct 1980 Guyana adopts constitution
- 07 Oct 1980 Belgium 3rd government of Martens resigns
- 08 Oct 1980 Bob Marley collapses on stage, brought to Sloan-Kettering Hospital
- 09 Oct 1980 Nobel prize for literature awarded to Czeslaw Milosz
- 10 Oct 1980 4,500 die when a pair of earthquakes strikes NW Algeria
- 11 Oct 1980 Dallas Mavericks 1st game at Reunion Arena beat San Antonio 103-92
- 12 Oct 1980 7 stabbed at Blood, Sweat and Tears concert in LA
- 13 Oct 1980 Unprovoked slayings of 6 blacks in Buffalo, New York
- 14 Oct 1980 Phils rally from 4-0 deficit to beat the Royals, 7-6 to take WS opener
- 15 Oct 1980 George Brett is forced out of World Series with hemorrhoids
- 16 Oct 1980 Brigadoon opens at Majestic Theater NYC for 133 performances
- 17 Oct 1980 1st-class debut of Mike Whitney, NSW vs. Queensland (2-52 & 1-39)
- 18 Oct 1980 Brooke Alexander, 18, of Hawaii, crowned Miss World USA
- 21 Oct 1980 Banjo Dancing opens at Century Theater NYC for 38 performances
- 22 Oct 1980 4th government of Martens forms in Belgium
- 23 Oct 1980 Tintypes opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 93 performances
- 24 Oct 1980 Iraqi troops occupies Khorramshar
- 25 Oct 1980 Mike Weaver KOs Gerrie Coetzee in 13 for heavyweight boxing title
- 26 Oct 1980 11th NYC Marathon won by Alberto Salazar in 2:09:41
- 27 Oct 1980 Astros owner John McMullen replaces GM Tal Smith with Al Rosen
- 28 Oct 1980 U.S. President Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan debate in Cleveland, Ohio. Reagan's genial, witty performance causes him to overtake Carter in the polls.
- 29 Oct 1980 Demonstration flight of a secretly modified C-130 for an Iran hostage crisis rescue attempt ends in crash landing at Eglin Air Force Base's Duke Field, Florida leading to cancellation of Operation Credible Sport.
- 30 Oct 1980 Honduras and El Salvador settle their boundary dispute
- 31 Oct 1980 Senegal routes troops to Gambia due to Libyan threat
- 03 Nov 1980 Ianford Wilsons 5th of July, premieres in New York City
- 04 Nov 1980 Islanders start 15 game undefeated streak (13-0-2)
- 08 Nov 1980 In Gorda Plate, a magnitude 7.2 earthquake occurs. Most of the damage occurred east of Fields Landing, where two sections of an overpass on U.S. Highway 101 collapsed onto the railroad tracks below.
- 09 Nov 1980 Iraqi President Saddam Hussein declares holy war against Iran
- 10 Nov 1980 Dan Rather refuses to pay his cabbie, CBS pays $12.55 fare
- 11 Nov 1980 Crew of Soyuz 35 returns to Earth aboard Soyuz 37.
- 12 Nov 1980 New York City Mayor Ed Koch admits to trying marijuana
- 13 Nov 1980 Gabriella Brum, 18, of W Germany crowned 30th Miss World, she resigns the next day, because she wants to marry her 52 year old boyfriend
- 14 Nov 1980 Guinee-Bissau Premier Vieira fires President Luis Cabral
- 15 Nov 1980 Pope John Paul II begins five-day visit to West Germany.
- 16 Nov 1980 Tampa Bay Buccaneer QB Doug Williams throws for 486 yards
- 17 Nov 1980 John Lennon releases Double Fantasy album in the UK
- 18 Nov 1980 Despite missing 45 games, George Brett wins AL MVP
- 20 Nov 1980 Steve Ptacek in Solar Challenger makes 1st solar-powered flight
- 21 Nov 1980 Fire at MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas kills 84
- 22 Nov 1980 Georgia tanker at Pilottown, Louisiana, spills 1.3 million gallons of oil after an anchor chain caused the ship to leak.
- 23 Nov 1980 4,800 die in series of earthquakes that devastated southern Italy
- 24 Nov 1980 Ronald Reagan Jr marries Doria Palmieri
- 25 Nov 1980 Coup in Burkina abolishes constitution
- 26 Nov 1980 Columbia mated to SRBs and external tank at Vehicle Assembly Building
- 27 Nov 1980 Soyuz T-3 carries three cosmonauts to Salyut 6 space station, launched.
- 30 Nov 1980 Banjo Dancing closes at Century Theater NYC after 38 performances
- 01 Dec 1980 Mel Harris appears on M*A*S*H in Cementing Relationships
- 02 Dec 1980 Four American Maryknoll nuns killed by death squads in El Salvador.
- 03 Dec 1980 New York Federal jury finds Reps Thompson D-New Jersey and Murphy, D-NY, guilty
- 04 Dec 1980 English rock group Led Zeppelin officially disbands, following the death of drummer John Bonham on September 25th.
- 06 Dec 1980 Jim Bakker rapes Jessica Hahn
- 08 Dec 1980 John Lennon, an English musician and peace activist, is murdered by Mark David Chapman, a mentally unstable fan, in front of The Dakota apartment building in New York City.
- 10 Dec 1980 Soyuz T-3 returns to Earth.
- 11 Dec 1980 Dirk Wellham scores 100 on first-class debut, New South Wales versus Victoria.
- 12 Dec 1980 USA's copyright law amended to include computer programs.
- 13 Dec 1980 Perfectly Frank closes at Helen Hayes Theater NYC after 16 performances
- 14 Dec 1980 Onward Victoria opens / closes at Martin Beck NYC for 1 performance
- 15 Dec 1980 New York Yankees' Dave Winfield becomes highest-paid player, ten years $15 million.
- 16 Dec 1980 US President-elect Ronald Reagan announces Alexander Haig as Secretary of State.
- 17 Dec 1980 Mauritania provisional constitution published.
- 18 Dec 1980 Vietnam adopts constitution.
- 19 Dec 1980 Anguilla becomes a British dependency separate from Saint Kitts.
- 20 Dec 1980 USSR formally announces death of Alexei Kosygin.
- 21 Dec 1980 Harold Carmichael ends NFL streak of 127 consecutive game receptions.
- 22 Dec 1980 US President-elect Ronald Reagan appoints Jean Kirkpatrick (UN delegate) and James Watt (Interior).
- 24 Dec 1980 Americans remembered Iran hostages by shining lights for 417 seconds
- 26 Dec 1980 Richard Chase, the "Vampire of Sacramento," kills himself by overdose on San Quentin prison death row (born 1950).
- 27 Dec 1980 Calvin Murphy (Rockets) begins longest NBA free throw streak of 78
- 28 Dec 1980 MTxico terminates fishing agreements with US.
- 29 Dec 1980 Shuttle STS-1 moves from Vandenberg AFB to Launch Complex 39A
- 30 Dec 1980 Wonderful World of Disney, last performance on NBC-TV
- 31 Dec 1980 Senegal President Leopold Senghor resigns.