Friday 1 August 1980
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sylvain Armand and Romain Barras.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Magic by Olivia Newton-John.
In UK Xanadu by Olivia Newton-John & Electric Light Orchestra was in the top 5 hits.
Xanadu, directed by Robert Greenwald, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Rage Of Angels by Sidney Sheldon was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Eamon or Pelé's Soccer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1980!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1980 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Sylvain Armand: French professional footballer (soccer player) who currently plays as a defender for Rennes in the French Ligue 1..
- Romain Barras: French decathlete.
- Mancini : Brazilian footballer.
- Oluchi : Nigerian model.
- Bryan Fisher: English-American actor.
- Waldemar Cierpinski wins 19th olympics marathon (2:11:03
- Gerd Wessig of East Germany sets the high jump record.
- Buttevant Rail Disaster kills 18 and injures dozens of train passengers in Ireland.
- Vigdis Finnbogadottir becomes the first democratically elected female head of state
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 August 1980
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Olivia Newton-John - Magic
- Billy Joel - It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
- Elton John - Little Jeannie
- Spinners - Cupid/I've Loved You For A Long Time (Medley)
- The Manhattans - Shining Star
- The S.O.S. Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right) Part 1
- Paul McCartney - Coming Up
- Paul McCartney - Coming Up (Live At Glasgow)
- Rocky Burnette - Tired Of Toein' The Line
- The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?