Wednesday 22 March 1972
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Pieter Christiaan and Elvis Stojko in Richmond Hill.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to A Horse With No Name by America.
In UK Without You by Nilsson was in the top 5 hits.
Pink Flamingos, directed by John Waters, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while The Winds Of War by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Split Second.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hunt the Wumpus or Pong.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 March 1972!
Which were the important events of 22 March 1972 ?
- Blessed Genta of Maaseik
- The fourth day of Quinquatria in ancient Rome, held in honor of Minerva.
- World Water Day.
- Easter Sunday - 1818, 2285. In the Gregorian Calendar 22 March is the earliest date on which Easter Sunday can fall (25th April is the latest).
- Saint Octavian
- Saint Lea of Rome
- Saint Reinhilde of Ghent
- Pieter Christiaan: Prince of the Netherlands.
- Elvis Stojko in Richmond Hill: Ontario, Canada; ice skater (Olympics-silver-1994).
- John Farquhar: tight end (New Orleans Saints).
- Mikhail Sloutsky: WLAF linebacker (Scotland Claymores).
- Shawn Bradley: American basketball player, a center for the Dallas Mavericks.
- Jocelyn Gourvennec: French football (soccer) player in midfield role. During his time at Marseille he played in the 1999 UEFA Cup Final.
- Kevin Lidle: American athlete, pro baseball player mostly minor league, and a twin of Cory Lidle.
- Cory Lidle: American athlete, a pro baseball player (a pitcher) and fraternal twin who crashed his plane into a New York high-rise building in October 11, 2006.
- Pieter-Christiaan : Dutch royalty, the third son of Princess Margriet and Prince Piester van Vollenhoven, the grandson of Juliana and Bernhard.
- Elvis Stojko: Canadian ice-skater, winning medals from 1994 and world champion by 1998. At the 1994 Olympics, he won a Silver Medal as the first skater to ever perform a quadruple jump combination in world competition. He was a huge name in Canada and in skating circles around the world for several years, a national hero. Stojko is known as a disciplined player who meditates for his focus, and does martial arts as part of his training. He has a black belt in karate.
- Selling of the President opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 5 performances
- Congress approves Equal Rights Amendment (never ratified)
- Yankees trade Danny Cater to the Red Sox for Sparky Lyle
- Nick Mileti purchases Cleveland Indians for US$9 million.
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar named NBA Most Valuable Player.
- US Congress approves Equal Rights Amendment (never ratified).
- The United States Congress sends the Equal Rights Amendment to the states for ratification.
- ''The Godfather'' is released in cinemas in the United States.
- The British government announces the prorogation of the Parliament of Northern Ireland and the introduction of 'Direct Rule' of Northern Ireland, after the Unionist government refuses to cede security powers.
- ''Après Toi'' sung by Vicky Leandros (music by Klaus Munro Mario Panas, lyric by Klaus Munro Yves Dessca) wins the Eurovision Song Contest 1972 for Luxembourg.
- ''Bewitched'' starring Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick Sargent aired its final episode, ampquotThe Truth, Nothing but the Truth, So Help Me Samampquot on ABC.
- An avalanche on Mount Fuji kills 19 climbers.
- The last trolleybus system in the United Kingdom closes in Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire after over 60 years of operation.
- After fourteen years, the last of Leonard Bernstein's ''Young People's Concerts'' is telecast by CBS. This last concert is devoted to Gustav Holst's ''The Planets''.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 22 March 1972
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?