Wednesday 29 August 1979
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Déborah Anthonioz and Youssoupha .
In that special week of August people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Time After Time, directed by Nicholas Meyer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Carol Burnett & Company.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Galaxy Wars or Bomb Bee.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1979!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 29 August 1979 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Déborah Anthonioz
- Natasha Fisher: Miss Nebraska Teen USA (1997).
- Stijn Devolder: Belgian cyclist.
- Kristjan Rahnu: Estonian decathlete.
- Ryan Shealy: American baseball player.
- Mary Marquet: Actress (Landru, Paris Canaille), dies at 84.
- Sheridan Broadcasting Corp purchases Mutual Black Network
- A national referendum is held in which Somali voters approve a new liberal constitution, promulgated by President Siad Barre to placate the United States.
- The U.S. ''Pioneer 11'' becomes the first spacecraft to visit Saturn, when it passes the planet at a distance of 21,000nbspkm.
- Dominica, Guyana St. Lucia recognize the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Chic - Good Times
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Love This Way Again
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?