Thursday 30 August 1979
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Juan Ignacio Chela and Tavia Yeung.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Time After Time, directed by Nicholas Meyer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Class Reunion by Rona Jaffe was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching A Moment in Time.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Sundance or Temple of Apshai.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 30 August 1979
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 30 August 1979 ?
- International Day of the Disappeared
- Turkey - Victory Day (to commemorate the Battle of Dumlupinar in 1922)
- Peru - Saint Rose of Lima's Day
- Juan Ignacio Chela: Argentine tennis player.
- Tavia Yeung: Hong Kong actress and singer.
- Niki Chow: Hong Kong actress and singer.
- Juan Chela: Argentinian tennis player.
- Leon Lopez: English singer-songwriter and actor.
- Scott Richmond: Canadian baseball player.
- 1st recorded occurrance-comet hits sun (energy=1 mil hydrogen bombs)
- Ian Botham makes 1000 runs / 100 wkts in Tests in his 21st match
- Kathy Horvath (14y5d) is youngest to play in US Tennis Open, she loses
- President Carter attacked by a rabbit on a canoe trip in Plains, Georgia
- Wildest US Tennis Open match, McEnroe defeats Ilie Nastase 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2. Nastase was defaulted by the umpire then reinstated
- US President Jimmy Carter attacked by a rabbit on a canoe trip in Plains, Georgia.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Chic - Good Times
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Love This Way Again
Top #10 R&B songs
- Chic - Good Times
- Earth, Wind & Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough
- Ashford & Simpson - Found A Cure
- Teddy Pendergrass - Turn Off The Lights
- Cameo - I Just Want To Be
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Mass Production - Firecracker
- Teena Marie - I'm A Sucker For Your Love
- Five Special - Why Leave Us Alone
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?