Saturday January 31, 1959
US date format: 1/31/1959, UK date format: 31/1/1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aquarius (see birth chart on January 31, 1959). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Macmillan (Conservative), Pope John XXIII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Anthony Lapaglia and Kelly Lynch.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by The Platters.
In UK It's Only Make Believe by Conway Twitty was in the top 5 hits.
The Journey, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while From The Terrace by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of January 31, 1959?
- Blessed Ludovica
- Saint Geminianus
- Saint Marcella
- Saint Pedro Nolasco
- See more
- Joe Cronin signs seven-year pact to become head of American League.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 31, 1959?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops
- Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
- James Brown And The Famous Flames - Try Me
- Dee Clark - Nobody But You
- Clyde McPhatter - A Lover's Question
- The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- The Crests - 16 Candles
- Fats Domino - Whole Lotta Loving
- Ray Charles with the Raylettes - (Night Time Is) The Right Time
- LaVern Baker - I Cried A Tear
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free