Thursday 8 January 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Michael Harwood in Sydney and Duk Koo Kim.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to The Chipmunk Song by The Chipmunks.
In UK It's Only Make Believe by Conway Twitty was in the top 5 hits.
Bell Book and Candle, directed by Richard Quine, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while From The Terrace by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Rawhide.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 January 1959!
Which were the important events of 8 January 1959 ?
- Commonwealth Day is celebrated in Northern Mariana Islands.
- Michael Harwood in Sydney: New South Wales; Australasia golfer.
- Duk Koo Kim: Korean boxer (d. 1982).
- Kim Duk-koo: South Korean boxer (d. 1982).
- Paul Hester: Australian drummer (Crowded House Split Enz Deckchairs Overboard and Tarmac Adam) (d. 2005).
- Keith Rodden: American NASCAR crew chief.
- Charles De Gaulle is inaugurated as the first president of the French Fifth Republic.
- Caves of Nerja are discovered in Spain.
- Motown Records founded by Berry Gordy, Jr.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 January 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Chipmunks - The Chipmunk Song
- The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- The Teddy Bears - To Know Him, Is To Love Him
- The Everly Brothers - Problems
- Elvis Presley - One Night
- Connie Francis - My Happiness
- The Kingston Trio - Tom Dooley
- Clyde McPhatter - A Lover's Question
- Billy Grammer - Gotta Travel On
- Fats Domino - Whole Lotta Loving
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?