Friday 30 January 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jody Watley in Chicago and Cynthia Carter.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by The Platters.
In UK It's Only Make Believe by Conway Twitty was in the top 5 hits.
Sleeping Beauty, directed by Clyde Geronimi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while From The Terrace by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Third Man.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 January 1959!
Which were the important events of 30 January 1959 ?
- Jody Watley in Chicago: Illinois, USA; dancer (Solid Gold) / singer ("Looking For a New Love").
- Cynthia Carter: Welsh journalist author and academic.
- Mark Eitzel: American singer and musician (American Music Club).
- Steve Folkes: Australian rugby league player and coach.
- Jody Watley: American singer-songwriter and producer.
- Australia 1-200 first day fourth Test versus England, Adelaide Oval.
- The ABC TV network airs the Walt Disney Presents TV show, entitled The Peter Tchaikovsky Story. The show is the first stereophonic broadcast of a television program. In some cities, one channel is transmitted on an AM radio station, the other channel on an FM station.
- MS Hans Hedtoft, said to be the safest ship afloat and ''unsinkable'' like the RMS Titanic, struck an iceberg on her maiden voyage and sank, killing all 95 aboard.
- Danish passenger/cargo ship
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 30 January 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- Connie Francis - My Happiness
- Ritchie Valens - Donna
- The Crests - 16 Candles
- Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
- Billy Grammer - Gotta Travel On
- Clyde McPhatter - A Lover's Question
- Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops
- Jack Scott - Goodbye Baby
- Fats Domino - Whole Lotta Loving
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?