January 1972 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1972.
The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Edward Heath (Conservative), Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1972: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1972?
- 01 Jan 1972 Company closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 690 performances
- 02 Jan 1972 Rothschilds closes at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC after 505 performances
- 04 Jan 1972 Rose Heilbron becomes the first female judge to sit at the Old Bailey in London.
- 05 Jan 1972 NASA announces development of space shuttle
- 06 Jan 1972 US male Figure Skating championship won by Kenneth Shelley.
- 07 Jan 1972 William Hubbs Rehnquist sworn in as US Supreme Court Justice.
- 08 Jan 1972 Kenneth Patchen, American writer (See You in the Morning), dies at age 60.
- 09 Jan 1972 Passenger ship Queen Elizabeth destroyed by fire
- 10 Jan 1972 Triple album set Concert for Bangladesh released in the UK
- 11 Jan 1972 East-Pakistan becomes independent state of Bangladesh.
- 13 Jan 1972 Former umpire, now housewife Bernice Gera wins her suit against baseball, initiated on March 15, 1971 to be allowed to umpire.
- 14 Jan 1972 Sanford & Son starring Redd Foxx premieres on NBC TV
- 15 Jan 1972 Heavyweight Joe Frazier knocks out Terry Daniels.
- 16 Jan 1972 Super Bowl VI: Dallas Cowboys-24, Miami-3 in New Orleans; Most Valuable Player: Roger Staubach, Quarterback.
- 17 Jan 1972 Section of Memphis, Tennessee, Highway 51 South renamed Elvis Presley Boulevard.
- 19 Jan 1972 Sandy Koufax, Yogi Berra, and Early Wynn elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 20 Jan 1972 Pakistan launched its Nuclear detterent program few weeks after its defeat in Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- 21 Jan 1972 Mizoram, formerly part of Assam, creates an Indian union territory
- 22 Jan 1972 Emergency with Robert Fuller premieres on NBC TV
- 23 Jan 1972 2nd AFC-NFC pro bowl, AFC wins 26-13
- 24 Jan 1972 WRIP (now WDSI) TV channel 61 in Chattanooga, TN (IND) 1st broadcast
- 25 Jan 1972 25th NHL All-Star Game: East beats West 3-2 at Minnesota.
- 26 Jan 1972 Stewardess Vesna Vulovic survives 10,160m fall without parachute.
- 27 Jan 1972 Magnavox begins production of the Odyssey video game. The Odyssey is a primitive video game system, with no processors or integrated circuits. It plugs into a home TV set, displaying a moving white block that can be bounced by rotating remote paddles.
- 28 Jan 1972 Richard Chanfray claims he is the Count of St Germain on French television.
- 29 Jan 1972 5th ABA All-Star Game: East 142 beats West 115 at Louisville.
- 30 Jan 1972 Pakistan withdraws from the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 31 Jan 1972 US launches HEOS A-2 for interplanetary observations (396/244,998).
American singer-songwriter, musician and occasional actress and model, also known as Chan Marshall.
- See more
New Orleans, Louisiana -- Gospel singer (Whole World in his Hands).
American writer, a Regents Professor at the University of Minnesota.
Composer, dies at 82.
Irish Poet / writer / founder (Irish Review), dies at 90.
- See more