Sunday 9 January 1972
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Hervé Falciani and Vincent Riou.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Brand New Key by Melanie.
In UK I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony) by The New Seekers was in the top 5 hits.
The Cowboys, directed by Mark Rydell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Einmal im Leben - Geschichte eines Eigenheims.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Empire or Hunt the Wumpus.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 9 January 1972 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Hervé Falciani: Franco-Italian system engineer who since 2009 has been colaborating with numerous European nations by providing information relating to more than 130,000 suspected tax evaders with Swiss bank accounts - specifically those with accounts in HSBC's (which is large UK-based international bank) Swiss subsidiary HSBC Private Bank.
- Vincent Riou: French sailor, the skipper of PRB, a 60-foot monohull.
- Eddie Mason: NFL linebacker (New York Jets).
- Jay Powell in Meridian: Mississippi, USA; pitcher (Florida Marlins).
- Mat Hoffman: Professional BMX Rider.
- Sarah Beeny: English television host.
- Jay Powell: American baseball player.
- Rawson Stovall: American video game producer and author.
- Kristie Hicks in Bardstown: Kentucky, USA; Miss Kentucky-America (1995).
- Ted Shawn: American dancer known as "the father of modern dance.
- Passenger ship Queen Elizabeth destroyed by fire
- Ted Shawn, American dancer, dies at age 80.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Melanie - Brand New Key
- Don McLean - American Pie (Parts 1 and 2)
- Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair
- Al Green - Let's Stay Together
- Michael Jackson - Got To Be There
- Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band - Scorpio
- Jonathan Edwards - Sunshine
- The New Seekers - I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony)
- David Cassidy - Cherish
- Donny Osmond - Hey Girl
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?