Monday 1 February 1937
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
You Only Live Once, directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1937
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1937.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1937!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1937 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Garrett Morris: Comedian.
- Michel Lis: French print, television and radio journalist and director, known as 'Michel le jardinier' (English: Michel the gardener).
- Maryan Wisniewski: France sport Champion.
- Don Everly: American musician, a singing star with his brother Phil, known for close harmonies.
- Del McCoury: American bluegrass singer-songwriter guitarist and bandleader.
- Ray Sawyer [Dr Hook] in Alabama: USA; vocalist (Dr Hook - "When You're in Love").
- Don Everly in Brownie: Kentucky, USA; singer (Everly Brothers - "Wake Up Little Susie").
- Garrett Morris in New Orleans: Louisiana, USA; actor/comedian (Saturday Night Live, Martin, Carwash).
- Fernando Pacheco: Portuguese writer, poet and literary critic. His military experience in Africa would give rise to his first book, "Caring for the Living." Although most of the themes in his work are dark, he published a lighter-hearted novel, "Walt" in 1978. He translated into Portuguese from the Spanish works of fellow-poet Pablo Neruda and novelist Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- Marguerite Audoux: French novelist.
- Stapleton, Staten Island, New York becomes a customs-free port.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?