Tuesday 1 September 1914
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Maitraye Devi .
The Virginian, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1914!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1914 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Maitraye Devi: Bengali-born Indian poet and novelist, the daughter of philosopher Surendranath Dasgupta and protegée of poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- Märtha: Last known passenger pigeon, dies at Cincinnati Zoo.
- 34th US Mens Tennis: R Norris W III beats M E McLoughlin (63 86 10-8)
- Lord Kitchener arrives in Paris
- Von Glucks army meets up with British expeditionary army
- St. Petersburg, Russia, changes its name to Petrograd.
- The last passenger pigeon, a female named Martha, dies in captivity in the Cincinnati Zoo.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1914 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- You Planted a Rose in the Garden of Love - Henry Burr
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?