Friday 17 November 1989
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Nickatnyte and Ryan Griffin.
In that special week of November people in US were listening to When I See You Smile by Bad English.
In UK All Around The World by Lisa Stansfield was in the top 5 hits.
Back to the Future Part II, directed by Robert Zemeckis, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Dark Half by Stephen King was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand De Bargos.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Beyond the Black Hole or The Revenge of Shinobi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 November 1989!
Which were the important events of 17 November 1989 ?
- Slovakia - Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day commemorating the beginning of the Velvet Revolution in 1989.
- Life Day
- International Students Day
- R.C. Saints - Elisabeth of Hungary; Gregory of Tours; Hilda of Whitby; Hugh of Lincoln
- Also see November 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
Famous Birthdays:17 November
- Bret Saberhagen signs record $2,966,667 per year Kansas City Royals contract.
- Cold War: Velvet Revolution begins: In Czechoslovakia, a student demonstration in Prague is quelled by riot police. This sparks an uprising aimed at overthrowing the communist government (it succeeds on December 29).
- Buena Vista releases the Walt Disney Pictures animated feature film The Little Mermaid to theaters. It cost over US$23 million to make.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 November 1989
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bad English - When I See You Smile
- Milli Vanilli - Blame It On The Rain
- The B-52's - Love Shack
- Paula Abdul - (It's Just) The Way That You Love Me
- Roxette - Listen To Your Heart
- Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire
- Richard Marx - Angelia
- New Kids On The Block - Didn't I (Blow Your Mind)
- Alice Cooper - Poison
- Soul II Soul - Back To Life
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?