Wednesday 24 December 1980, Christmas Eve
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jeannick Parny and Jason Miller.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to (Just Like) Starting Over by John Lennon.
In UK There's No One Quite Like Grandma by St Winifred's School Choir was in the top 5 hits.
Maniac, directed by William Lustig, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while The Covenant by James A. Michener was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Brendon Chase.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Boxing or Fishing Derby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1980!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1980 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Jeannick Parny: French homicide victim, the son of Joseph Parnay.
- Jason Miller: MMA Fighter.
- Stephen Appiah: Ghanaian footballer.
- Maarja-Liis Ilus: Estonian singer.
- Tomas Kalnoky: Czech-American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Streetlight Manifesto Catch 22 and Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution).
- Americans remembered Iran hostages by shining lights for 417 seconds
- Witnesses report the first of several sightings of unexplained lights near RAF Woodbridge, in Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk, England, an incident called ''Britain's Roswell''.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 December 1980
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- John Lennon - (Just Like) Starting Over
- Leo Sayer - More Than I Can Say
- Neil Diamond - Love On The Rocks
- Kenny Rogers - Lady
- Bruce Springsteen - Hungry Heart
- Air Supply - Every Woman In The World
- Barbra Streisand - Guilty
- Blondie - The Tide Is High
- Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot
- Heart - Tell It Like It Is
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?