Monday 1 February 1937
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ray Sawyer [Dr Hook] in Alabama and Don Everly in Brownie.
You Only Live Once, directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1937
while The Citadel by A. J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Cook's Night Out.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1937!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1937 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Ray Sawyer [Dr Hook] in Alabama: USA; vocalist (Dr Hook - "When You're in Love").
- Don Everly in Brownie: Kentucky, USA; singer (Everly Brothers - "Wake Up Little Susie").
- Garrett Morris in New Orleans: Louisiana, USA; actor/comedian (Saturday Night Live, Martin, Carwash).
- Don Everly: American musician, a singing star with his brother Phil, known for close harmonies.
- Michel Lis: French print, television and radio journalist and director, known as 'Michel le jardinier' (English: Michel the gardener).
- Fernando Pacheco: Portuguese writer, poet and literary critic. His military experience in Africa would give rise to his first book, "Caring for the Living." Although most of the themes in his work are dark, he published a lighter-hearted novel, "Walt" in 1978. He translated into Portuguese from the Spanish works of fellow-poet Pablo Neruda and novelist Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- Maryan Wisniewski: France sport Champion
- Garrett Morris: Comedian
- Del McCoury: American bluegrass singer-songwriter guitarist and bandleader
- Marguerite Audoux: French novelist.
- Stapleton, Staten Island, New York becomes a customs-free port.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?