Wednesday 1 September 1937
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Al Geiberger and Carmelo Bene.
The Prisoner of Zenda, directed by John Cromwell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1937
while The Years by Virginia Woolf was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1937!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1937 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Al Geiberger: American golf pro, best known for his unmatched record in 1977 of shooting a 59, under par by 13, earning him the nickname "Mr.
- Carmelo Bene: Italian actor, poet, film director and screenwriter.
- Allen Geiberger: Red Bluff sports Champions.
- Allen Jones: English sculptor and painter.
- Ron O'Neal: American actor, film director and screenwriter (d. 2004).
- Allen Weinstein: American historian and academic (d. 2015)
- 4th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: All-Stars 6, Green Bay 0 (84,560)
- Battle of Gijon in Spain begins
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?