Friday 17 September 1937
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pierre Alard and Nigel Boocock.
The Lower Depths, directed by Jean Renoir, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1937
while The Citadel by A. J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1937!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1937 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Pierre Alard: French athlete, specializing in discus events.
- Nigel Boocock: English-Australian motorcycle racer (d. 2015).
- Orlando Cepeda: Puerto Rican Major League Baseball player.
- 1st NFL game in Washington, DC; Redskins beat the New York Giants 13-3
- The head of Abraham Lincoln on Mount Rushmore is dedicated in Black Hills, South Dakota.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?