Monday 5 May 1958
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Aurélien Recoing and Serse Cosmi.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Witch Doctor by David Seville.
In UK Whole Lotta Woman by Marvin Rainwater was in the top 5 hits.
Thunder Road, directed by Arthur Ripley, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while North From Rome by Helen MacInnes was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Jefferson Drum.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 5 May 1958 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Aurélien Recoing: French actor who has appeared in more than eighty films since 1982.
- Serse Cosmi: Italian coach of the Perugia Soccer team.
- Dean Garcia
- Ron Arad: Israeli colonel and pilot (d. 1986).
- Robert DiPierdomenico: Australian footballer and sportscaster.
- Jack Wishna: American businessman co-founded Rockcityclub (d. 2012).
- KNME TV channel 5 in Albuquerque, NM (PBS) begins broadcasting
- Pulitzer prize awarded to James Agee for (Death in the Family)
- US performs atmospheric nuclear test at Enwetak.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- David Seville - Witch Doctor
- The Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream
- The Platters - Twilight Time
- Laurie London - He's Got The Whole World (In His Hands)
- Elvis Presley - Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
- The Monotones - Book Of Love
- The Champs - Tequila
- Don Gibson - Oh Lonesome Me
- Dean Martin - Return To Me
- The Chordettes - Lollipop
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?