Tuesday 7 April 1959
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Marie Wampers and Pierre Veys.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Venus by Frankie Avalon.
In UK As I Love You by Shirley Bassey was in the top 5 hits.
Gidget, directed by Paul Wendkos, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The First Easter by Peter Marshall was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The David Niven Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 7 April 1959 ?
- Saint Herman-Jozef (died 1241)
- World Health Day - April 7th of every year is designated as World Health Day and celebrated by the 191 member countries of the World Health Organization to emphasize significant issues in public health of worldwide concern. Observed annually since 1948.
- The feast of Annunciation is celebrated by the Eastern Orthodox Church.
- Saint John Baptist de La Salle (d.1719)
- Mozambique - Women's Day.
- Radar 1st bounced off Sun - Stanford, California
- Oklahoma ends alcohol prohibition, after 51 years.
- Radar first bounced off sun, from Stanford, California.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Thomas Wayne - Tragedy
- Ricky Nelson - Never Be Anyone Else But You
- The Coasters - Charlie Brown
- David Seville - Alvin's Harmonica
- Ricky Nelson - It's Late
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?