Saturday 9 May 1936
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Terry Drinkwater and Terry Downes.
Show Boat, directed by James Whale, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1936 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Terry Drinkwater: TV newsman (CBS).
- Terry Downes: middleweight boxing champion (1961-62).
- Andrea Borruso: Italian politician, municipal advisor, parliamentarian.
- Glenda Jackson: British internationally known actress who won a NY Film Classics Award in 1971, an Emmy for "Queen Elizabeth" in 1972, and Oscars in 1970 and 1974.
- Albert Finney: British actor.
- 1st KLM airplane to land on Bonaire
- Italy formally annexes Ethiopia after taking the capital Addis Ababa on May 5.
- Italian East Africa is formed from the Italian territories of Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Italian Somaliland.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 May 1936
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?