Tuesday 5 May 1936
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include MV Wilhelm Gustloff (ocean liner) and Patrick Gowers.
Dracula's Daughter, directed by Lambert Hillyer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
while It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 5 May 1936 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- MV Wilhelm Gustloff (ocean liner)
- Patrick Gowers: English composer and educator (d. 2014).
- Claude Got
- Ervin Lazar: Hungarian writer (d. 2006).
- Ervin Lázár: Hungarian author (d. 2006).
- John Maxton: Scottish politician.
- Edward Ravenscroft patents screw-on bottle cap with a pour lip.
- Italian troops occupy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?