Saturday January 17, 1998
US date format: 1/17/1998, UK date format: 17/1/1998
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn (see birth chart on January 17, 1998). The US president was Bill Clinton (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Tony Blair (Labour), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Gilad Shaar .
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden.
In UK Never Ever by All Saints was in the top 5 hits.
Pi, directed by Darren Aronofsky, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1998
while Then Came Heaven by LaVyrle Spencer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Dawson's Creek.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing GT 64: Championship Edition or Half-Life series.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of January 17, 1998?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- President Clinton faces sexual harassment charges from Paula Jones
- Lewinsky scandal: Matt Drudge breaks the story of the Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky affair on his website The Drudge Report.
- The Drudge Report breaks the story about U.S. President Bill Clinton's alleged affair with Monica Lewinsky, which would lead to the House of Representatives' impeachment of him.
- Gilad Shaar: An Israeli 16 years old teenager who was...
- Junior Kimbrough: American bluesman (Born 1930).
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 17, 1998?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #11 songs in the USA
- Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply
- Janet - Together Again
- Elton John - Candle In The Wind 1997
- Elton John - Something About The Way You Look Tonight
- LeAnn Rimes - How Do I Live
- Puff Daddy - Been Around The World
- LSG - My Body
- Usher - You Make Me Wanna..
- Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
- Robyn - Show Me Love
- Mase - Feel So Good
Top #5 songs in the UK
Sport Games on January 17, 1998
- Atlanta Hawks - New Jersey Nets : 81 - 97
- Cleveland Cavaliers - Seattle SuperSonics : 91 - 99
- Golden State Warriors - Philadelphia 76ers : 84 - 112
- Los Angeles Clippers - Washington Wizards : 99 - 108
- Miami Heat - Los Angeles Lakers : 99 - 108
Jupiler LeagueFootball (Belgium)
- Aalst - Beveren : 3 - 0
- Anderlecht - Antwerp : 2 - 2
- Charleroi - Genk : 1 - 2
- Lokeren - Lierse : 4 - 2
- St Truiden - Westerlo : 0 - 0
La Liga Primera DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Celta - Espanol : 1 - 0
- Oviedo - Zaragoza : 3 - 0
- Valladolid - Ath Madrid : 2 - 1
La Liga Segunda DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Ath Madrid B - Lleida : 3 - 1
- Hercules - Villarreal : 2 - 1
- Numancia - Vallecano : 0 - 1
- Osasuna - Toledo : 1 - 1
- Sevilla - Orense : 1 - 0
Make this day unforgettable
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next January 17If January 17, 1998 is your birthday you're 22 years, 8 months, 8 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 3 months, 23 days.
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?