Thursday 21 December 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Del Wilkes and Henry Kamel.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens.
In UK Tower Of Strength by Frankie Vaughan was in the top 5 hits.
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, directed by Jos Quintero, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Age Of Reason Begins by Will and Ariel Durant was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Poly.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 21 December 1961 ?
- Roman festivals - Divalia in honour of Angerona
- R.C. Saints - Saint Petrus Canisius ; formerly feast day of Thomas the apostle
- Also see December 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The summer solstice (Southern Hemisphere) or winter solstice (Northern Hemisphere), sometimes known as Yule, occurs on or very close to this date. It is an important festival in the Chinese calendar.
- Del Wilkes: American pro wrestler.
- Henry Kamel: Ghanaian banker and politician (d. 2012).
- Francis Ng: Hong Kong actor and director.
- The Patriot: American wrestler.
- Rein Raud: Estonian scholar and author.
- Ryuji Sasai: Japanese bass player and composer
- Beatles record Sweet Georgia Brown andReady Teddy
- JFK and British Prime Minister MacMillan meet in Bermuda
- In Congo, Katangan prime minister Moise Tshombe recognizes the Congolese constitution.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?