Wednesday 21 October 1964
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Annemiek Schrijver and Jon Carin.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Do Wah Diddy Diddy by Manfred Mann.
In UK Oh Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison was in the top 5 hits.
My Fair Lady, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1964
while Candy by Terry Southern and Mason Hoffenberg was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching That Regis Philbin Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 October 1964!
Which were the important events of 21 October 1964 ?
- Republic of China - Overseas Chinese Day
- French Republican Calendar - Tonneau (Barrel) Day, thirtieth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- In the comic novel Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, the Earth was born on this day in 4004 BC, within a quarter of an hour of 9 in the morning. This was supposedly because God liked to get things over with early.
- R.C. saints - Saint Ursula and her 11 (or 11000) virgins; Saint Hilarion
- Trafalgar Day ? celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.
- Also see October 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- International Day of the Nacho ? celebrated in the United States and Mexico since the early 1990s.
- Diwali in India (2006)
- Annemiek Schrijver: Dutch journalist, writer, television maker and presenter.
- Jon Carin: American singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (Pink Floyd The Who and Industry).
- Levent Yüksel: Turkish singer.
- Abebe Bikila runs world / olympic record marathon (2:12:11.2)
- Braves ask NL to allow them to leave Milwaukee for Atlanta
- The film version of the hit Broadway stage musical ''My Fair Lady'' premieres in New York City. The movie stars Audrey Hepburn in the role of Eliza Doolittle and Rex Harrison repeating his stage performance as Professor Henry Higgins, and which will win him his only Academy Award for Best Actor. The film will win seven other Academy Awards, including Best Picture, but Audrey Hepburn will not be nominated. Critics interpret this as a rebuke to Jack L. Warner for choosing Ms Hepburn over Julie
- Canada: A Federal Multi-Party Parliamentary Committee selects a design to become the new official Flag of Canada.
- A 5.3 Kiloton nuclear device is detonated at the Tatum Salt Dome, from Hattiesburg, Mississippi as part of the Vela Uniform program. This test is the Salmon phase of the Atomic Energy Commission's Project Dribble.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1964 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Manfred Mann - Do Wah Diddy Diddy
- Martha & the Vandellas - Dancing In The Street
- J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers - Last Kiss
- Gale Garnett - We'll Sing In The Sunshine
- Roy Orbison - Oh, Pretty Woman
- The Supremes - Baby Love
- Chad Stuart and Jeremy Clyde - A Summer Song
- Betty Everett - Let It Be Me
- The Beach Boys - When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
- The Honeycombs - Have I The Right?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?