Monday 23 January 1950
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Richard Gilliland in Fort Worth and Richard Dean Anderson in Minneapolis.
Gun Crazy, directed by Joseph H. Lewis, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while A Rage To Live by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Robert Montgomery Presents.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 January 1950!
Which were the important events of 23 January 1950 ?
- Pie Day
- The Saddest day of the year is January 23 according to a recent study completed by the Cardiff University in Cardiff, Wales (a part of the Russell Group of British universities). 
- Roman Catholic Church: Feast of Blessed Marianne of Molokai
- Richard Gilliland in Fort Worth: Texas, USA; actor (Jonesy - The Waltons, Tom - Heartland).
- Richard Dean Anderson in Minneapolis: Minnesota, USA; actor (MacGyver, Emerald Point NAS).
- William Cunningham: rock bassist/pianist (Box Tops - "Letter").
- Patrick Simmons: guitarist/vocal (Doobie Brothers - "Minute by Minute").
- Richard Anderson: American actor, the former heartthrob of TV's "General Hospital" 1986-1991, leaving the soap when he felt overshadowed by another plotline.
- Bill Cunningham: American bass player and keyboard player (The Box Tops)
- Danny Federici: American musician (Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band) (d. 2008)
- John Greaves: Welsh bass player and songwriter (Henry Cow National Health and The Lodge)
- Suzanne Scotchmer: American economist and academic (d. 2014)
- Luis Spinetta: Argentinian singer-songwriter guitarist and poet (Almendra Spinetta Jade Invisible Pescado Rabioso) (d. 2012)
- AP picks Miracle Braves of 1914 as greatest sports upset
- The Knesset passes a resolution that states Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.
- Rebel army of captain Raymond Westerner occupies Bandung.
- NFL rule changes open way for two-platoon system (offense and defense).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 January 1950
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1950 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Red Foley - Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy
- I Said My Pajamas (And Put On My Pray'rs) - Tony Martin & Fran Warren
- Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think) - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?