Sunday 28 August 1949
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hugh Cornwell and Pierre Cardo.
White Heat, directed by Raoul Walsh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while Mary by Sholem Asch was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Crusader Rabbit.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 August 1949!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 28 August 1949 ?
- Many Christian churches: feast day of Saint Augustine of Hippo.
- Hong Kong: Liberation Day (1945)
- Hugh Cornwell: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Stranglers).
- Pierre Cardo: French politician, he was elected Mayor of Chanteloup-les-Vignes in 1983, serving until 2009.
- Svetislav Pesic: Serbian basketball player and coach.
- Svetislav Pešić: Serbian basketball player and coach.
- 38th Davis Cup: USA beats Australia in New York (4-1)
- Riot prevents Paul Robeson from singing near Peekskill, New York, USA.
- The last 6 surviving veterans of the American Civil War meet in Indianapolis.
- The Council of Europe meets for the first time.
- The Soviet Union tests its first atomic bomb, code named ampquotJoe 1ampquot. Its design imitates the American plutonium bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki, Japan in 1945.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?