Wednesday 17 August 1949
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Noël Augert and Doreen Cameron.
I Was a Male War Bride, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while The Man With The Golden Arm by Nelson Algren was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hands of Mystery.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1949!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1949 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Jean-Noël Augert: French alpine skier, he was slalom gold medalist (Val Gardena 1970) and won three crystal globes.
- Doreen Cameron: Scottish stage and TV actress who worked to promote working-class and anti-capitalist theatre.
- Peter Malsin: American astrologer who became a student of the field in 1971.
- Noel Augert: .
- Colin Campbell: Actor (Leather Boys), dies at 83.
- Norm Coleman: American lawyer and politician 52nd Mayor of St. Paul
- Sue Draheim: American fiddler and composer (d. 2013)
- Julian Fellowes: Egyptian-English actor director screenwriter and politician
- Sib Hashian: American drummer (Boston and Ernie and the Automatics)
- Gregorio Perfecto: Filipino journalist jurist and politician (d. 1949).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?