Saturday 1 March 1980
It was Saturday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen.
In UK Too Much Too Young (The Special AKA Live! EP) by The Specials was in the top 5 hits.
Coal Miner's Daughter, directed by Michael Apted, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Princess Daisy by Judith Krantz was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1980.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1980!
Which were the important events of 1 March 1980 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Rose Gilman: Lady Rose is the younger daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, and is in the line of succession to the British Throne.
- Gennaro Bracigliano: French soccer player, a goalkeeper currently playing for Chennaiyin FC in the Indian Super League.
- Djimi Traore: Malian footballer.
- Rose VBL Windsor: daughter of English prince Richard.
- Manmeet Bhullar: Canadian lawyer and politician (d. 2015).
- Sercan Güvenışık: German-Turkish footballer
- Abdur Rehman: Pakistani cricketer
- Anna Semenovich: Russian singer actress and ice dancer
- Djimi Traoré: Malian footballer
- Shahid Afridi: Cricket Player
- John Jacob Niles: Composer, dies at 87.
- CTUC, Commonwealth Trade Union Council, established
- Patti Smith and MC5 guitarist Fred Sonic Smith wed in Detroit
- Snow falls in Florida
- Hilbert van der Duim becomes world champion all-round skater.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
- Teri DeSario - Yes, I'm Ready
- Captain and Tennille - Do That To Me One More Time
- Dan Fogelberg - Longer
- Andy Gibb - Desire
- Donna Summer - On The Radio
- Smokey Robinson - Cruisin'
- Michael Jackson - Rock With You
- Spinners - Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me Girl (Medley)
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?