Friday 10 May 1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Taurean Blacque and Arthur Alexander.
Waterloo Bridge, directed by Mervyn LeRoy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 10 May 1940!
Which were the important events of 10 May 1940 ?
- Saint Gordianus
- Saint Isidore the Laborer
- Saint John of Avila
- Saint Job
- Saint Quaratus and Quintus
- Saint Peter Van
- Saint William of Pontoise
- Buddha's Birthday in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, and South Korea.
- Saint Francis of Assisi
- Saint Solange
- The first possible day on which Pentecost may fall.
- Akshaya Tritya in Hinduism.
- Astronomy Day in the United States.
- Birds' and Trees' Day in Hungary
- Memorial Day of Blessed Damien of Moloka'i
- Celebration of the Clandestine Retreat of Ma'at and Ra in Ancient Egypt.
- Constitution Day in the Federated States of Micronesia.
- Inauguration Day in South Africa.
- Mania (mythology) in Ancient Rome.
- The marriage of Shiva to Meenakshi in Madurai, India
- Taurean Blacque: Actor (Neal Washington-Hill Street Blues).
- Arthur Alexander: American singer/songwriter ("Lonely Just Like Me").
- William Cash: British Member of Parliament.
- Wayne A Downing: retired United States Army general.
- Wayne Dyer: American self-help author and motivational speaker.
- Euphemia "Phemia" Molkenboer: Dutch author/poster artist, dies at age 56.
- Dutch torpedo boat Johan van Galen sinks
- French troops arrive in Zealand / Brabant Netherlands
- Nazi armies attack Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg
- Winston Churchill succeeds Neville Chamberlain as British Prime Minister
- French marines are stationed on Aruba.
- Dutch-Indies Governor Van Starkenborch proclaims end to state of siege.
- British Local Defense Volunteers (Home Guard) is formed.
- World War II: The first German bombs of the war fall on England at Chilham and Petham, in Kent.
- Battle of France begins
- German forces invade Low Countries
- Battle of the Netherlands begins
- Battle of Belgium begins
- Invasion of Luxembourg begins
- Iceland is invaded by the United Kingdom.
- Winston Churchill, in his first address as Prime Minister, tells the House of Commons, ampquotI have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears, and sweat.ampquot
- WWII: German armies open a wide breach in the Maginot Line at Sedan, France.
- Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and her government flee to London Rotterdam is subjected to savage terror bombing by the Luftwaffe 980 are killed, and 20,000 buildings destroyed.
- Recruitment begins in Britain for a home defence force: the Local Defence Volunteers, later known as the Home Guard.
- The very first McDonald's restaurant opens in San Bernardino, California.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?